Converting 1987 Grand Wagoneer to Diesel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Converting 1987 Grand Wagoneer to Diesel

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights Clear Cor99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Chrome Headlights

Unread 12-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
jedelbrock
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Converting 1987 Grand Wagoneer to Diesel

Hey Guys,
I am looking to switch my 1987 Grand Wagoneer over to a diesel engine. I know that some of you have done the conversion yourself and I was wondering if you could offer any helpful hints!

jedelbrock

jedelbrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Kevos97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Can't be of much help myself... but hope to learn a thing or two from this thread!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ BOOT CAMP: GREAT INFO![/URL]

1997 TJ, Citron Pearlcoat, AX-15, 4.0, D30/D35 open, 4.56s, 33 inch BFG T/A KOs on AEVs
2012 Patriot Sport 4X4 5speed - the new DD
my blog - [URL="www.kevinspocket.com"]www.kevinspocket.com[/URL]
Kevos97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Check out John Meister's rig (sold a bit ago, but info is still up) John Meister - Copyright 1995 - 2010

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
sang_route
1973 J-Series Truck 

Depends on how you want it set up and what is still good on ur wag.

1. If the frame has seen better days I'd say find a rolled dodge truck w the cumins turbo diesel and if you get really lucky the NV45000 manual trany. If you have access to a torch you can cut and splice the frame to fit but if not find one with a similar wheelbase.

2. dredge up the parts and fab some custom motor mounts for ither a 4 or 6bt. If you tow heavy loads or have 40's or something like that i'd use the 6 but if you just commute you could get away with the 4.

3. Try using a gm (as long as you don't have it screaming under a load all the time they are reliable) but I think you will need at least an adapter if not a another tranny.

4. Or if you so choose you can use a (shudder) ford diesel whatever.

I list these in the oder I would do them. Being a heavy equipment Tech. I tend not to trust the fords because I always see them to be in the work shop at regular intervals for things like engine fires and major internal breakages. How you split every piston in half in 6 months of driving... Sorry getting off topic.

88 and 95 XJ, 1973 J4000
sang_route is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2010, 04:30 AM   #5
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

I just found an '86 F250 4x4 with 7.3 for $900 (rusty box and dead auto trans)

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Ford 6.9/7.3 NA motors are cheap, plentiful, and very reliable. The V8 platform also keeps engine length down, helping engine bay fitment.
Just remember front spring upgrades are in the works as well, since Diesels are substantially heavier than their gas counterparts.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Speakin of this, does anyone have a parts list for swapin a 6.2/6.5 GM diesel into a Waggy? Its gonna be my next build.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
fuzz2010
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check out 4btswaps.com More than just Cummins there.
fuzz2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
cummins5552
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedelbrock View Post
Hey Guys,
I am looking to switch my 1987 Grand Wagoneer over to a diesel engine. I know that some of you have done the conversion yourself and I was wondering if you could offer any helpful hints!

jedelbrock
what trans are you using?
cummins5552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
Speakin of this, does anyone have a parts list for swapin a 6.2/6.5 GM diesel into a Waggy? Its gonna be my next build.
This is a pretty easy sway as the 6.2/6.5 bolt up the same as a GM engine.

After you get the mounts, you just need to adapt the transmission or probably easier would be to run the GM transmission and transfer case.

Of course you will have some wiring to do as well as throttle cable, radiator, etc.
Unread 01-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #11
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedelbrock View Post
Hey Guys,

jedelbrock
I just swapped my 1996 Suburban to a 6bt Cummins diesel. It was fairly straightforward, I put conversion mounts in, the Dodge radiator and intercooler (which took a lot of cutting of the core support), wiring, brackets, transmission adapter, etc, etc.

The easiest swap in terms of modification would be a non-intercooled 4bt. This would fit fairly easily front to back but might have some clearance around your differential (a lift would help). Most early 4bt's are a one wire hookup to make them run.

6.2/6.5 diesel would also be an easy swap that has been done and would make plenty of power for an FSJ.

You can google 4bt Grand Wagoneer and come up with lots of videos and forum posts, those people would be able to help out a lot.

Hope this helps.

Tags
conversion , diesel , diesel swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.