Considering buying a Wagoneer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Considering buying a Wagoneer

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-26-2013, 04:24 AM   #1
Derb
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Considering buying a Wagoneer

Hi folks, I'm kind of new here. I visit once in a while for info, but have never posted before. Anyway, I currently own a 1999 Cherokee sport 2wd. If everything goes well it will be sold next week. I have decided that I want something 4x4 and I don't want something newer with a computer. Frankly I have always liked older vehicles anyway and I am tired of the issues that come up with these newer vehicles.

I have owned my Cherokee for 2 years and the whole time wishing for a Grand wagoneer (sorry I'm not familiar with with which models are which. I want the bigger body not the body style that matches my 99 Cherokee). I don't mind power windows and locks at all. I live in AZ so the vehicle would have to have a/c as well. Right now I am looking for suggestions or a direction to start looking. I have never owned nor driven a 4 wheel drive vehicle. Are there certain years that you recommend I stay away from or even be completely honest with me and let me know if the Wagoneer is even good way to go (in other words is there a different vehicle that would be better for someone who is new to 4 wheel drive). Any help or advice that you could give me would be great.

I plan on moving in about a year and will be moving out of the city. Possibly heading to Alaska and will be taking the 4x4 with me. Any other info that you need from me, please feel free to ask.

Thank you in advance for your time and have a good one!

Last edited by Derb; 03-26-2013 at 04:37 AM..
Derb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Welcome to the Full Size Side.
So many things to consider. Most of us work on our own Jeeps. Hard to find (not impossible) a shop that can or will maintain these rigs. If you read through post, you can find some inherent issues with them. Poor economy, high maintenance. On the other side most of us wouldn't give ours up without a fight, they do become a part of us. I looked at my GW purchase as an adoption a commitment. If your itchin for one, its hard to relieve without scratchin. I would look at later years 87-91 some wiring issues are less frequent with those, and the window and lock mechanisms are a little better. While the Q-trac is an awesome t-case, parts are hard to come by.
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Derb
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks for the input on this. I definitely don't mind the work or extra maintenance, I actually enjoy it. I think I may have misread what you were saying about the Quadratrac, this is on the older vehicles or on the years you suggested I look at?
Unread 03-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Derb
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Looked it up and answered my own question. Thanks again for the info RockRollin.
Unread 03-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

I love my turbo400, but not in love with my quadratrac.

The Grand Wagoneers were the large ones from 84-91. They put the 'Grand' ont there when they brought out the xj wagoneer.

If you want one, get one. Just like any vehicle, if it's what you want, you won't mind working on it. If you keep working on it, it'll eventually be new.

Check out the Cherokee Chiefs as well. Wider axles, 2-door, and cool fender flares.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/n...chief-1389559/
Unread 03-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
Derb
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks for the link, I like this body style as well. There is actually one down the street from me at a classic consignment dealer that has been sitting outside for the last few years. It is always in the same place when I go by there, doesn't seem to ever move. May have to stop in and ask some questions. Thanks for the reminder, I forgot all about it.
Unread 03-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
Saul32
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

I say get it and plan on tinkering with it every weekend. Little things, but fun little things. I bought mine last June and haven't stopped messing with it since. The amount of thumbs up you get driving to the grocery store is ridiculous.
You're in Arizona and I'm constantly looking on AZ Craigslist for a 2nd FSJ. They're always rust free and decently priced out there.
Good luck.
Unread 03-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
Derb
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks Saul. I have been looking on CL for a while at these there have been some nice ones in the area decently priced, but of course now I'm actually looking to buy nothing is screaming at me. All good, tho something will pop up eventually. I don't plan on moving for a bout a year so I have plenty of time to track one down and tinker with before then.

Oh the one I mentioned above isn't for sale. Went by and asked about it after posting earlier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.