Considering 1983 Cherokee Purchase...Need Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Considering 1983 Cherokee Purchase...Need Help!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
bjsorensen

Considering 1983 Cherokee Purchase...Need Help!

Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing a 1983 Cherokee, but I need some help to understand what things I should be careful of, be certain about, avoid, etc. Basically, how to buy the thing!

- originally 145K miles
- engine was partially rebuilt 7 years ago with the following
. RV cam
. honed out pistons
. intake manifold
. carburetor
- "new" engine has 30K miles
- repainted about a year ago
- undercarriage is coated with spray on bedliner type protectant
- no rust on undercarriage
- completely reupholstered and clean inside
- radio doesn't work / no antenna

The background is that it's someone's baby and that person's illness has taken away their ability to drive. Sad. The owner treated it like a lady apparently.

Anyway, I'd like to know what to ask about, look for, and be ready to pay for something like that. I know it's minimal information for a big question, so any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!
BJ

bjsorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Picture would be good. Do you know if it is a wide track (obvious fenders) or narrow track? It's 2 doors correct?

Rust is the biggest problem rear quarters are a good place to look for it. Also, with the wide tracks, the corners of the fenders.

What are you thinking of offering?
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.