Comanche - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Comanche

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 03-25-2002, 02:38 PM   #1
Junior

Comanche

ok, So this morning in auto shop, I casually said to a buddy that I wanted to work off a truck this summer, and he told me that one of his friends is selling an old '86 comanche.

So, anyways, getting to the point, how are the old camanche's for reliability, power and such. ALSO, how wide is the box on them? I need to be able to fit my snowmobile back their. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Junior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2002, 03:39 AM   #2
Mr. Mopar

yhe box is about as wide as a ford ranger or an s-10 box , as for what kind of power, donno it depends what kind of engine it has.
Unread 03-27-2002, 04:39 PM   #3
Junior

awesome, thanks man, that box is lots big enough, ya, power depends on the engine, but I THINK it's the 4.0L V6, which my step-mom's old cherokee used to be, so I know the kind of power it has.
Unread 04-03-2002, 11:51 AM   #4
kaiseramc

If the MJ (comanche) is really an '86, then it will have either a 2.5L straight four, or the 2.8L V6. It would be better if it has the four, for that is a good and strong jeep engine, the V6 is a pile of ***** made by GM (ask anybody). If you want serious power, put a 4.0 straight 6 in from a newer xj cherokee, try and get a 4.0 HO (high output) those are the '91 and later ones. However, you will find the conversion costly and somewhat difficuly, better to find an '87 or later already with the 4.0L trust me. I had an xj, '87 and it towed my brothers full size jeep (flat ground), and brother-in-laws '89 fourrunner up a mountain trail, plenty of power with the 4.0l, and mine wasn't modified or the high output. The comanche is in my opinion the best mid size and smaller pickup ever made bar none. Hell if it's a 4x4, it is the only one made with a solid front axle, and if 2x4, it is the easiest truck to convert plain and simple no torching or anything all bolt in!!! Good luck with it.
kaiseramc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2002, 05:15 PM   #5
Junior

ya, the one I was looking at is gone, but I"m still bent on a comanche, by conversion you ment from 2wd to 4wd? also, I might end up with an auto but want a standard, how hard is it to change that?

the one I"m looking at now is an 88 w/ the straight 6 4.0l
Unread 05-20-2002, 04:48 PM   #6
jcomanche88

i have an 88 comanche with the inline 6 4.0. the thing has serious power. i swear it would climb a tree if it could get the traction. very reliable too. let me know what you think of it.
kohl

nfocusdv@hotmail.com
Unread 06-20-2002, 02:12 AM   #7
Watto
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Junior, my father has an '86 Comanche long box w/2.8 V6 and manual tranny. It is hell for stout! Yeah, the motor is weak and reputed to be horribly unreliable. But other than a dieseling problem that he had fixed, it has 126k on it and is showing no sign of stopping.

If I were you, I'd be patient and wait until you come across exactly what you are looking for. You would be much better off to pay a bit more for a 4x4 with the tranny you want, than to have to fuss with a conversion. It will always be more expensive to convert than to just pay a bit more initially for the right truck. Wait for a '91-'92. They have the HO motor.

Happy hunting!
Unread 08-13-2002, 05:52 PM   #8
Junior

well, got my truck a week or so back, '88 4wd 5speed inline 6 4.0L

men, took lookin to find on elike that that someone was willing to part with, I dunno the story on it, but the dealership guys where talking about the former owner like he was dead, to bad, but hey, atleast his truck is in good hands.

jcomanche88, I see what you mean about massive torque, ya, I actually think that it could climb a tree if it could get the traction, my buddies and I had a "start yer vehicle in highest gear" contest outside the shop one day, and I swear it before god, I started the truck in 5th : ) wasn't goin fast or far, and I shudder to think what I did to my clutch disc, but hey, I WON. agaist 2 little rice burners to (89 prelude and '93 cavalier, both modded right out, cavalier got goin in 4th, prelude in 3rd for all those interested, I think the cavalier had the better driver tho)

ya, amazing truck, anyone lookin for a midsized pickup, I highly recommend it, for reference, the box is 44" between the wells, and atleast 50 between the sides, LOTS big enough to fit a sled in, if you have narrow ski's, you can even drop her in between the wells. box's in '89 came 6' and 7' long, but my '88 seems like 7.5, to get a 4x8 sheet of plywood in as bed protector I had to cut 5-6 inches off anyways, so that gives ya an idea.

if anyone has questions about the truck, feel free to email me, I"ll do the best I can to answer them.
Unread 08-13-2002, 06:15 PM   #9
Camster

have any pics of it? i'd love you see your prize

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/davidpage/Camsjeep.html]My Jeep[/url]
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2002, 07:33 PM   #10
Junior

actually no, but I'll get one w/ the digital camera after work tommorow, I just need to find a hosting service to get it up, hmmmmm, I'll figure it out : ) it's a nice one.
Unread 08-19-2002, 07:17 PM   #11
my litte red yj

well i just bought one it has a 4.0 way stronger and faster than my yj it has a 4 banger in it. The mj i bought is 2 wheel drive i love it it has 142678 miles and driver's real good for the age the 2nd owner put a lot of money in it paint misc stuff all said and done i love my 2nd jeep i have the so so trans pouegt trans in it
my litte red yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.