Clogged Fuel Filter in 40 miles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Clogged Fuel Filter in 40 miles

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 02-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
Learath
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Clogged Fuel Filter in 40 miles

Well after the new fuel pump, lines, and a few other parts. its still not leaking. but when i took it out to get a compressor from a guy today it bogged down and died on the way back. managed to limp it into a parts store. from how it was acting i figured it was the filter. turned out the new filter was clogged with a thick brown mud. banged it against the fender and go a bunch to come out of the "in" side. glad i put a filter in before the new fuel pump. the way it was plumbed before the only filter was after the pump.
these filters are cheap but i wonder if i should just keep changing them until they stop clogging or if i should try and clean out the tank some how.

Learath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

i noticed your in canada so maybe dropping and cleaning the tank is outta the question for mid winter. but sounds like it needs it.
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
Learath
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

U.S. actually. washinton, just across the river from portland.

figured dropping the tank would be the best option. i have never had a tank this full of junk though. i would think it might be easier to drain and filter from the hard lines from the tank. is there a screen in the tank?

Last edited by Learath; 02-04-2011 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: in a hurry
Unread 02-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

if it's that bad it needs to come out and be cleaned.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

how old is the gas in there?? did the jeep sit for a long time, or is this only a recent problem?
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
Learath
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

i believe it sat for a while before i got it. this is probably the third tank its on. was spraying fuel from the busted pump and running as rich as it can when the fellow drove it to my place to check out the trade i gave him for it. and i had just filled up the tank with fresh fuel yesterday morning.

I had a thought about the timing of when it clogged. was while i was going on a decent uphill on the freeway. all the agitation, suction and slant may have moved the sludge to the pick up line in the tank.
Unread 02-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

Definitely drop the tank and clean it out, mine was very rusty inside and it kept clogging filters. Same think happened with my buddies CJ5, and I had to do the same thing with his tank.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.