ChrisHager's 79 J-10 Build Thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > ChrisHager's 79 J-10 Build Thread

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 12-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #61
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I never get tired of hearing that. Haha. Thanks! Though my wife hates it (because I'm in the garage playing with it all the time), I find I love it more every day. I locked it into 4WD for the first time today and was extremely surprised at how well the siped mud tires did in the snow. I honestly think it did better than my WJ with DuraTracs... Mind you, they are about the same weight.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #62
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Oh and as a side note, I FINALLY finished the D.U.I. dristributor install. I'll be posting pictures this week!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 12-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #63
06_footy
1977 J-Series Truck 

Looking forward to it
Stock
06_footy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #64
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nice truck. You mentioned exhaust. My 79 f-250 has true dual exhaust. One pipe from the right side and one from the left each goes all the way out the back. My advice for an exhaust setup since you have opened up the intake would be a true dual setup. Mufflers would be your choice but I am running 36" thrush glasspacks and I am bvery happy with the sound. Nice rumble as I drive along but good bark when I get on it. I would also advise a rear exit rather than a side exit. I loved mine with a side exit as I could romp on it and then when I let off I could see the flames from the pipes. Yes it is cool, but yes it is much louder to the cab when they dump on the sides as out the back. So to be able to enjoy it more I would say out the rear. Other than that it is looking good. Sounds like you are enjoying it.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #65
06_footy
1977 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
Nice truck. You mentioned exhaust. My 79 f-250 has true dual exhaust. One pipe from the right side and one from the left each goes all the way out the back. My advice for an exhaust setup since you have opened up the intake would be a true dual setup. Mufflers would be your choice but I am running 36" thrush glasspacks and I am bvery happy with the sound. Nice rumble as I drive along but good bark when I get on it. I would also advise a rear exit rather than a side exit. I loved mine with a side exit as I could romp on it and then when I let off I could see the flames from the pipes. Yes it is cool, but yes it is much louder to the cab when they dump on the sides as out the back. So to be able to enjoy it more I would say out the rear. Other than that it is looking good. Sounds like you are enjoying it.
I agree, a true dual exhaust is a must for the modifications you've already done. My truck has longtubes w/ no cat's routed through the rear. My friends literally ask a million questions when they hear it. My engine is warmed over slightly but with the stock 2bbl. You will have much better results.

Eventually I'll route them through the passenger side. I have some very unique idea's in mind
Stock
06_footy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #66
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Awesome input! I assume you're running 2.5"?

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #67
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I'm finally getting some pictures up!! Don't mind the messy garage - It's clean now!

For the first round of pictures...

I loaded the truck up with a bunch of wood (mainly silver maple with a little walnut mixed in) for my Grandpa. The Rough Country springs sure keep the sagging to a minimal!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #68
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

D.U.I. Distributor Install

Since the instructions pretty much walk you through the steps quite well, I won't get too detailed and instead will mainly show pictures of what I've done. In short, you remove the current distributor, drop in the new distributor in the same orientation, run new wiring for the distributor, install newly gapped spark plugs, and run new spark plug wires.

Alrighty - time for some random-ish pictures.

I removed the factory split loom in order to remove the old ignition stuff. Once the loom was removed, I found a few factory duct tape splices...

To their benefit, the wires were crimped together...

I soldered up what I could and finished it up with heat-shrink tubing. Much better!

The following pictures are of the distributor installed and wires already ran. As seen in a previous post, the wires aren't for this truck. I re-ran them this previous weekend so they fit much better. This is also early in the install which is why the wires are all over the place.

I wired the relay in the following way (refer to the picture for the colors):

85: Ground (Blue)
30: Hot to Relay (Fused) (Red)
87: Hot to Distributor (Yellow which I spliced to Red)
86: Power from Key (Green)

I located the relay next to the battery. You can see where I grounded 85.

I took the hot (30) from the starter solenoid. You can see where I located the fuse as well. I think this keeps everything cleaner than having wires running off the battery.

Here you see where I spliced the yellow wire (87) with a red wire going to the distributor. Also, further below in the following picture, you can see where I spliced the green wire (86) with the factory wire that triggered the old coil (key on).

For reference, check out the following picture from this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/du...supply-845594/

The hot wire (87) plugs into the distributor on the cap. This was while we were still in 'test phase'. I later installed the proper connectors on the wire.

And wouldn't you know it - I just now realized I don't have pictures of the final product. I also installed the Tachometer during this project. I'll try to snap some pictures of everything tonight!

I do, however, have a picture of everything I was able to remove from under the hood!

So far, she runs well. I haven't had a chance to really test it out and fiddle with the timing as there's been too much snow on the roads. Over the holidays, I'm sure I'll have it tuned up nicely.

Also, as a random question, does anyone know what this fuseable link goes to (sorry for the blurry picture)? It looks factory and the wire runs down under the truck. I haven't yet traced it but was curious...

Secondly, how does the factory under hood light work?

Here you can see a black wire running from it...

In this picture, the black wire continues on (draped over the heater core)...

Finally, the black wire splices into something (fuse?), the wire changes to red, then hooks directly to hot. Does the under hood light stay lit all the time?

That's all for now until I snap more pictures!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #69
vanaisa
1974 FSJ Cherokee 

Chris - underhood light should have mercury switch inside, so it is kind of "automatic"
vanaisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #70
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Ahhh we wondered if that's how it worked!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:45 AM   #71
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Here are a few pictures of the finished product. I currently have the distributor at 15 advanced without pinging (87 octane). I noticed when the distributor's hold down clamp is completely tight, I can still slightly turn the distributor. I think I'll remove the distributor and install another washer gasket, reinstall it, then bump up the timing to see where that gets me.

I also was able to make the spark plug wires work. They aren't ideal but better now that I've re-ran them. I may tinker a little and see if there are other cleaner options.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-31-2013, 11:15 PM   #72
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Chris you might just be able smack the clamp with a hammer on the vice to "reset" the clampiness

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gazzos-cj10-truck-2185617/
gazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #73
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I like that idea. I'll have to give it a shot. I got a kick out of 'clampiness' as well!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #74
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

The plug wire routing looks great to me, you should see mine, looks like someone threw up a bowl of spaghetti onto my motor
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #75
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Hahaha well I'm glad it's appealing to some. I wish I had the correct wires but as you can tell, these worked out.

The WJ revealed -1F on the drive to work this morning. I think tomorrow is supposed to be a little warmer but besides more snow Saturday and Sunday, Monday and Tuesday morning are supposed to be cold (-12F, windchill -30 to -40 below). Depending on my evening, I may attempt to clean out the heater ...stuff... in the truck so I can play in the snow Sunday. I'm pretty sure the blower works but not much heat makes it into the cab. I have yet to clean out the vents and such which I'm sure are full of 35 years of leaves, rat nests, etc. That being said, what do I need to clean?...

1. pleontks suggested cleaning out the cowl. How do I go about that? I have yet to research the removal of the cowl.
2. I may pop out my glove box liner, unhook the vents, and vacuum them out.
3. Heater Core Housing - here's what I found on that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.bjsoffroad.com/forum/forum/customer-service/product-installation-instructions/1418-heater-core
Heater Core install basics. To install, you remove the heater core housing in the engine compartment. There are two bolts between the case and the passenger exhaust manifold on the firewall. The other two nuts are inside the cab on the passenger firewall, up behind the a/c assembly. Total of 4 nuts to remove to get it out. Then, there are about 16 or so small screws that hold the heater core housing halves together. Take them apart, clean out the core housing (usually filled with pinestraw and leaves), remove the old core, pop in the new, put it back together (I use RTV between them, as well as weatherstrip from home depot around the vent door) and then reinstall. Super easy.

I also like to quickly sand / scuff it and apply several coats of exterior grade metal primer and several coats of exterior grade metal paint while I'm at it.
...which is this bad boy for reference:

4. Blower Motor Housing. Is that the circular 'fella to the left of the Heater Core Housing in the following picture? I don't recall seeing it in the cab, though I haven't actually looked for it yet.

Anything I'm missing? Am I going overboard? Thanks in advance!!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.