ChrisHager's 79 J-10 Build Thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > ChrisHager's 79 J-10 Build Thread

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #46
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Small update: I added an Edelbrock Pro-Flow Air Cleaner on Sunday. It sure made a difference, especially in sound...

I also advanced the timing to 10 BTDC which helped take the stumble out of it when tapping the throttle at idle. This won't matter much as we are hoping to install the D.U.I. distributor, wires, and plugs this Friday. If anyone has any tips/pictures/advice, please feel free to chime in! I have never done an install like this where you run new wiring...

The following two videos are after adding the air cleaner and advancing the timing. Remember, the exhaust is stock and while it is a little loose, it is still fully connected. I honestly don't know where this added sound came from (compared to the videos previously linked).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKCexXj_Gzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loKElok47uE

Lastly, a couple random pictures from the weekend.

Picking up wood racks at Mom's house:

Moving wood at our house:

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #47
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

I ran new switched power for my hei direct from the fuse block. Didn't want the factory resistor wire to reduce voltage to the new system. Hei and dui needs full.power
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #48
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I plan on running new wiring through a relay so it has its own power.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 10-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #49
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Oh I almost forgot - I hit the scales the other day! The weight bounced around a little between 4,300 lbs and 4,800 lbs. For now, I'll say the J-10 weighs in at 4,500 lbs. In the future after working on it more, I'll see what it comes in at.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #50
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Over the long weekend, I was able to tinker on the truck a bit. I hand washed and waxed it in preparation for winter. I also decided to figure out why the installed CD player no longer works. I found the ground was broken and a fuse was blown. Anyway, on to a couple questions:

I still have the factory clock yet it doesn't work. Do these things just quit working or is there something I can do to fix it. I like the idea of having the factory analog clock!

I removed the glove box while working on the CD player and noticed it was beat up quite a bit. Since it was out, I decided to make a new one. The original is basically a compressed cardboard that was held in with two screws. Is there supposed to be a case or straps around the 'cardboard'?

Lastly, here in Illinois, we have to have a front facing license plate. I currently have it zip-tied to the front grill. What other mounting options do I have? Are there any brackets available for purchase?

Thanks 'fellas!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #51
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Another question that comes to mind - brakes...

When I picked up the truck a while back, the PO said the brake fluid was low/almost empty. He filled it up but you could see the master cylinder was wet. As I drove it around a little, I could tell the braking was inadequate. We assumed the two needed replaced. After driving it a little and wearing in the old brakes, I'm finding the braking has improved. The master cylinder still seems to lose a little fluid here and there but it's minimal - small enough that I wonder if the seal around the lid of the master cylinder isn't holding in the fluid properly. I don't believe it is dripping at all. I'm keeping an eye on this and am prepared to replace both if there is any hint that they are indeed bad.

I tell you the above in case it makes a difference diagnosing the other issue:

When braking heavily, the motor tends to stall. I am under the impression that it stalls more often when the engine is warmed up. Thoughts on the cause? I have the brake booster connected to manifold vacuum.

Above questions are still open for the taking as well. Thanks in advance!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #52
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Pictures/updates to my previous post:

First off, here she is hand washed and waxed in preparation for the upcoming salty roads:

Tire shine still drying. I don't know if it's true or not but I feel the tire shine helps condition the tires and prevents them from drying/cracking...

After cleaning the truck up, I decided to figure out why the CD player and clock didn't work. CD player, glove box, and clock removed:

Up behind the dash where the speaker is supposed to be. I think I'll look into a new one...

For those wondering, this is how the clock mounts to the dash. The faceplate has two plastic 'pegs' that poke through the dash and through the clock. To remove, you have to spin off the little nut type things. This can be a little difficult...

Rear of the factory clock. I couldn't figure out how to remove the single orange wire. The black socket type thing spins but doesn't turn loose.

Front of said clock:

It turns out, the CD player had a broken ground and a blown fuse. If I turn it up too loud, it still likes to blow the 2 amp fuse. Either way, I'm glad I figured that out.

As for the clock, the connections at the brown plug seemed pretty good. The clock itself was difficult to turn but after working with it for a while, it seemed to loosen up. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work. Anyone have any thoughts?

Besides fixing the CD player, tinkering with the clock, and replacing a few burnt out lights, I also found my glove box to be in bad shape.

The material it's made out of resembles a compressed cardboard. My gears started turning and I ended up at Hobby Lobby. There, I found some 20" x 30" Presentation Board. It was a little thin but being that it was compressed, it felt pretty sturdy. I bought two.

When I arrived back home, I glued the two sheets together with some wood glue. The two glued together added up to the thickness of the original compressed cardboard glove box and greatly increased the strength. While it was drying, I gently removed the staples holding the factory glove box together. Here is a crappy picture...

Once all the staples were removed, I was able to open up the factory glove box.

With this, I traced and cut out the shape on the Presentation Board sandwich.

From here, I gently creased the bends using, of all things, a sturdy shelf bracket, which can be seen on the left of the following pictures.

Once the shape was roughed in, I wondered how in the world I was going to fasten this all together. I decided on wood glue but needed something to hold it all together while it dried. While it isn't pretty, I ended up using a common stapler. It worked decently.

Here it is finished up:

I ran glue on the seams and over the staples to help hold everything together after it initially dried. Now I just need to install it!

As an aside, does anyone know what this key turn located above the emergency brake release may be for? I'm curious if it factory or aftermarket. I have yet to see what it's hooked to... Sorry for the blurry picture.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #53
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Also, in a picture posted above, you can see the reflection of an awesome tool box my younger brother bought me for my birthday. He also gave me some Craftsman wrenches and Stanley screw drivers. This thing is pretty cool and seems to be built quite well! I'm planning to make a tilting Jerry Can mount and storing the tool box in the indention in the bed right behind the cab. As it sits, it tucks under the bed rail quite well. Here are a few web images of it.

I have currently have two real Jerry Cans, a 1954 and a 1976. I was thinking about adding one to the other side of the bed for fuel but I think I'm going to purchase a new can that doesn't leak from the spout and retire the two antiques to the shelf in the garage.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #54
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

I like that box. Haven't seen that before. Great work on the glove box too

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gazzos-cj10-truck-2185617/
gazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #55
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Chris Hager's Grilled Thread

I found your grilled thread Chris. Nice work! Also have put a link on our CJ forum so you might get a few visitors

I'm only up to page 6 so they may have found it already.

Unread 12-02-2013, 03:29 AM   #56
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzo View Post
I found your grilled thread Chris. Nice work! Also have put a link on our CJ forum so you might get a few visitors

I'm only up to page 6 so they may have found it already.
Awesome!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #57
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Small update - Thanksgiving weekend, my brother and I installed the D.U.I. distributor, new spark plugs, and Live Wires. We bumped it over and it fired right up. I haven't worked on it since then because of lack of time but plan on buttoning everything up this weekend. I still need to run the wires for the tachometer, wire loom everything, and re-route the Live Wires. It's unfortunate but I found the Live Wires I received are not the proper wires for the AMC 360. They are CLEARLY not the right length so I have to get creative on placement of the wires. I'm a little concerned that the passenger bank will have taught wires that may rest on the valve cover. I contacted the manufacturer and they were great help. They offered to swap them out for the correct set if the wires in my possession had not been used, even though I didn't purchase the wires (they came with the truck). Unfortunately, I've already started the truck on the wires. At least they're rated for 1400F in case they do contact the valve cover...

Anyway, I hope to get a bunch of pictures up at the beginning of next week!

Ohhh and one more thing - I've been doing research on the twin stick. I've read some people say the old shifter box pops off without a problem while the majority says I'll need to split the transfer case from the transmission in order to get the shifter box to slide off. We looked around and while there appears to be quite a bit of room, it does look like the shifter box will hit the transmission during removal. It appears this 'simple' job will in turn end up being much more complicated. If anyone has experience, I'd be glad to hear it! (360, T18a, D20).

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #58
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager
Small update - Thanksgiving weekend, my brother and I installed the D.U.I. distributor, new spark plugs, and Live Wires. We bumped it over and it fired right up. I haven't worked on it since then because of lack of time but plan on buttoning everything up this weekend. I still need to run the wires for the tachometer, wire loom everything, and re-route the Live Wires. It's unfortunate but I found the Live Wires I received are not the proper wires for the AMC 360. They are CLEARLY not the right length so I have to get creative on placement of the wires. I'm a little concerned that the passenger bank will have taught wires that may rest on the valve cover. I contacted the manufacturer and they were great help. They offered to swap them out for the correct set if the wires in my possession had not been used, even though I didn't purchase the wires (they came with the truck). Unfortunately, I've already started the truck on the wires. At least they're rated for 1400F in case they do contact the valve cover... Anyway, I hope to get a bunch of pictures up at the beginning of next week! Ohhh and one more thing - I've been doing research on the twin stick. I've read some people say the old shifter box pops off without a problem while the majority says I'll need to split the transfer case from the transmission in order to get the shifter box to slide off. We looked around and while there appears to be quite a bit of room, it does look like the shifter box will hit the transmission during removal. It appears this 'simple' job will in turn end up being much more complicated. If anyone has experience, I'd be glad to hear it! (360, T18a, D20).
I hear what you're saying about the live wires, mine are all wrong for my I6 and with my red engine and fenders one guy over on our CJ forum reckons it looks like a macdonalds under the hood. I tend to agree. Goes good though.
image-2586222707.jpg

Unread 12-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #59
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Haha! I have a red cap and yellow wires as well!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #60
Jeeper4life88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sure you hear it all the time, but nice truck man! I hope to pick up a full size jeep truck one of these days..

2004 Jeep Liberty- BFG A/T's and some skid's and tow hooks, otherwise pretty much stock.
Jeeper4life88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.