ChrisHager's 79 J-10 Build Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > ChrisHager's 79 J-10 Build Thread

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 10-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #16
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

On another forum, someone asked me for detailed pictures of the headliner. I figured I'd post them up here as well.

Driver Side Front Corner

Driver Side Rear Corner

Rear Light

Center Visor Clip (Mine is broken. )

Passenger Side

Passenger Visor

Full Headliner

Also, I ended up ordering:

Edelbrock #8034 Throttle Cable Adapter
Edelbrock #8534 Intake Manifold Bolt Kit
Mr. Gasket #3404 1" 4 Hole Center Phenolic Carburetor Spacer

Today I'm going to pick up the Fel-Pro #MS96011 Intake Manifold Gasket from O'Reilly Auto. I'm still debating on grabbing some Valve Cover Gaskets.

I'm also going to grab some oil and a new filter. I don't know the last time it was changed. I'm a huge fan of Rotella T5 10W-30 which I use in my 4.0L Grand Cherokee and 2.5L Wrangler. I'm thinking of going with this again as it has higher amounts of ZDDP which is good for flat tappet engines and a stronger cleaning agent which I'm sure would be helpful. It's also a synthetic blend. That oil paired with a Wix oil filter should treat the 360 well. If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to chime in!

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #17
DavisI
2002 WJ 

Looks good man
DavisI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
rabbott1
1985 J-Series Truck 

do not have to remove valve covers to replace intake but it does give you a little more room to work.

20130928_130726-1.jpg
rabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
rabbott1
1985 J-Series Truck 

20130831_171341-1.jpg
rabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #20
Cavasar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Super clean lookin truck man.
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #21
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Wow, thats a Nice J10 you got there, Thumbsup
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #22
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

that headliner is beautiful
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #23
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

rabbot1 - You're correct. We left the intake manifolds on. In fact, I think it makes the job easier. They create almost a 'lip' for you to wedge in the valley pan gasket.

Cavasar and Thomahawk - I appreciate the compliments!

pleontks - The headliner is in impressive shape. I need to clean it up a bit but besides a little grime, it's 'like new'.

Unread 10-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #24
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Well, we have most of the project finished. As typical, I snapped a bunch of pictures and will post most of them. If they're a little redundant, my apologies. I like pictures in case I miss something or need them for future reference. Perhaps they'll help others with random issues as well!

Here's the engine in its original form - 360 with the stock 2 barrel carb, or so we think. I bought this from my father-in-law. Saturday, he informed me the person he bought it from apparently replaced the engine and told him that it was a 401. I crawled under the engine and identified the 360 stamp. I'm assuming the guy didn't know what he was talking about when he sold it to my FIL. Either that or they bored/stroked the 360 to a 401. We will never know.

I started by removing the new grill so I didn't scratch it up while leaning into the engine bay. For reference, there are 10 screws that hold on the grill. Sorry for the poor quality.

Stock air cleaner removed and various pictures of the engine/vacuum lines/carb connections:

Carb removed:

Spacer and coolant hose removed as well as some more angles of various lines/hoses/connections:

Brake booster vacuum line:

Intake manifold removed. As you can see, it looked pretty clean minus the red RTV.

Cleaned up:

Spark plugs were in good shape. I believe my FIL replaced them when he bought the truck so they're fairly new.

Test fitting everything:

Final cleaning before the install:

We installed the Lifter Valley Heat Shield to the Performer intake manifold as instructed by Edelbrock using #8 x 3/8" self tapping drive screws. This heat shield has to be removed from the stock intake manifold by drilling out 6 rivets. Here are the instructions for the Performer intake manifold: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_.../3000/3731.pdf

Gasket installed and gooped up. I used RTV instead of the rubber gaskets for the front and rear.

Intake manifold and carburetor studs installed:

That's all the pictures I have so far. The carburetor is sitting on top as it appears in the test fit. We stopped at this point because I need to collect more parts including:

Carburetor Throttle Ball Assortment: http://www.holley.com/20-2.asp
PCV Valve Grommet: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...411_0417221013
PCV Valve
Vacuum Hose

I think that's everything I need. I expect to have it running this weekend as long as we don't run into any more issues.

Unread 10-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #25
question4u92

That color is BEAUTIFUL!
question4u92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #26
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Thanks! I'm excited to work on it some more this weekend!

Unread 10-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #27
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

great looking truck. I wouldn't change much appearance wise.
have you looked into the monstaliner? its a really nice 2 part urethane roll on bedliner kit, or raptorliner also 2 part urethane but meant to be sprayed. they are both way better then a rattlecan or duplicolor/herculiner system. I would also line the floor of the cab to make it waterproof. with the rubber or vinyl mat the condensation can build up under it and stay damp. even with a carpet if it gets wet at least the floor with be 100% sealed.
I wouldn't really bother trying to run dual exhaust, its kind of a pain on the fsj, especially with the tank on one side. im not really into my Y with a flowmaster junction between the transfer case and frame into the longest round magnaflow they have in 3". ran the 3" right to the back. its sounds good. not too loud but you know its a v8. the round muffler fits the wagoneer frame nice. truck might have more room for an oval muffler.
the tires might work ok, I run mud terrains on my dd, snow and all. I thought about having them siped but never had a problem so didn't bother. you might have different results with a pickup though.
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #28
question4u92

I'd like to thank you for the pictures of the truck, as I've said I set it as my desktop background... And well the family owns 8 Jeeps, with a J10 & J20, all of which are projects lol, but since my step dad saw the picture, I think he got inspired again to fix the trucks up with me :'D
question4u92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #29
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by question4u92 View Post
I'd like to thank you for the pictures of the truck, as I've said I set it as my desktop background... And well the family owns 8 Jeeps, with a J10 & J20, all of which are projects lol, but since my step dad saw the picture, I think he got inspired again to fix the trucks up with me :'D
Glad to hear my thread is inspiring!

Unread 10-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #30
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Update: Yesterday I spent the day in the garage finishing up a few things and firing up the truck. After cranking for a bit, it started right up and idled smooth! I currently have the factory distributor installed along with the 'old' plugs gapped at .035 and running at 8 BTDC. Without tinkering with the carb at all, it seems to drive pretty well. If I blip the throttle, it hesitates a little but smooth throttle pressure and the beast wakes up!

I still have a few things to finish up but the plan is to hopefully install the new distributor/plugs/wires this weekend. I'm trying to do my research before I jump in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.