ChrisHager's 79 J-10 Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > ChrisHager's 79 J-10 Build Thread

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

ChrisHager's 79 J-10 Build Thread

My father-in-law bought this 79 J-10 Honcho Levi Edition truck a handful of years ago in stock form. After working it over, he thought I'd like to have it and offered it to me for a price I couldn't pass up.

Here are the specs:

As said above, it's a 79 J-10 Honcho Levi Edition w/ 53,000 miles (we think original miles)
360 with a 2 barrel carb
T-18A transmission (6.32:1 granny low)
D20 transfer case
D44 front and rear axles - rear with the factory posi
3" Rough Country lift (spring lift)
Summit brand 'Big Dawg' tires - 33x12.5x15 mounted on Mickey Thompson Classic II's (15x10)

And as we all know, these threads are useless without pictures!

Right after I picked it up. You can see my WJ in the background.

A lucky picture we were able to get on the drive back up.

Pulled it right in the garage when we got home. It fits well!

Shined it up the next morning.

Quick fishing trip

Odometer hitting 53,000 (sorry for the crappy quality)

Hopefully within the next few weeks, we will be installing the Edelbrock intake manifold, D.U.I. distributor, and Holley 600cfm carb. The interior is in pretty good shape as well but it'll get newly covered seats, new carpet, etc. as the build goes on. Many pictures will follow!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

nice truck!
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice truck for sure! Hopefully my Honcho will look that good one day.
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Wow! That is minty clean! Looks real good man.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Thanks! I'm loving it! I'm excited to get the new goodies on it and see how much umph she has!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 09-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I have a lot of things I'm throwing around in my head on where to start with the truck. I figured I'd post my more immediate list here mainly to keep everything straight. Part of the priority right now is to have it winter ready. If anyone has any suggestions on what I've picked out/plan to do, please feel free to chime in! I know my way around vehicles quite well but I've never had a truck this old before!

I'll start off by saying I probably missed something in this list and may edit something else in. Anyway, here we go!

1. First off, ALL fluids need changed (minus maybe one). That will be a nice Saturday morning project! I'll put on the new differential covers as well when I do this.

1.5. [Edited In:] I've found I need a new Power Brake Booster and Master Cylinder so obviously, that goes to the top of the list!

2. I need to install the plugs, wires, distributor, intake manifold, and carb soon to get her purring.

3. Next, I think I'm going to have the mud tires siped to aid in traction this winter. I know mud tires can do pretty well in deep snow but I have also heard they don't excel in packed snow/ice.

4. Following that, I'll probably install the twin stick that's laying on the work bench. It could be handy in snow!

5. I NEED to install a hitch on the truck, especially since I'm going to use this to haul wood on my little trailer. I found BJ's Off-Road sells a new hitch with hardware included for $325 shipped. That doesn't seem too bad! http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-1098.htm

6. The next step would probably be installing all the new window and door seals that are also laying on the work bench.

7. [Edited In:] I want to put in some bed liner to protect the bed. I'm actually considering cheap rattle can bed liner. I've used the roll on stuff before and wasn't too fond of the outcome. A friend of mine used rattle can bed liner and wow did that look good. It's easy to touch up as well!

These last four aren't quite as necessary as the above projects but they're something I want to do sooner than later - not necessarily in this order either.

8. The carpet is stained and has a rip or two in it so that will need replaced. I considered getting a vinyl kit as that will stay clean better but also like the idea of using carpet. Does anyone have any preference or reasons to go one way or another? Just curious.

9. Same as the carpet, the seats are worn out and torn. They currently have covers on them so that helps but I believe as the holiday season nears, I'm going to have my Mom reupholster the seats. As stated above, fabric or vinyl? I think I know which way I'm going for both the flooring and seat but I'm curious if someone has good reasons for one option over the other.

10. Exhaust - I was thinking 3" to a dual out muffler but I honestly haven't committed to anything yet. In fact, I don't even know what muffler I want or where I'd want the exhaust to dump. I want a 'muscle' type sound without it being too loud. I've never been a fan of obnoxiously loud exhaust. I'm not terribly concerned about a little drone in the cab though.

11. [Edited In:] CB and Antenna

Anyway, that's what I initially have planned!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #7
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Three words... MY. DREAM. TRUCK.

I'll be following this thread... keep the pics coming!
'94 Wrangler YJ [B][I][COLOR="Navy"]"Blue"[/COLOR][/I][/B]
billy_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I snapped a few more pictures, some of which aren't the best quality. I can get better pictures in daylight this weekend if need be. If anyone wants more of anything in particular, feel free to ask!

Interior - Dash is still in great shape (one reason we think the 53k miles are original).

Shifters and a shot of the carpet. There is a pretty large rip around the transfer case shifter.

Pedal covers are still in great shape (another reason we think the 53k miles are original).

Driver side door panel. I have the window crank though it isn't attached at the moment. I am, however, missing the trim around the arm rest/hand pull.

Passenger side is in better shape.

Headliner and visors are still in great shape.

Gas tank skid? and rear axle.

Cross member, frame, exhaust, etc. I need to see if the exhaust has random rust spots or if something is leaking and splattering causing the weird color pattern. I also need to get under the truck and see if it's just the angle or if the exhaust is really that close to the front driveshaft.

Driveshaft and under body.

Front frame condition.

Engine:

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
jimborino
1979 J-Series Truck 

Wow! I had to rip out all of the old flooring in my '79 J-10 and half-assed fabricated new floorboards due to the free floor vents that came with the truck! You found a gem that's for sure!
jimborino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 01:22 AM   #10
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

3 - I've had good experience with the BFG A/T in the snow. Good on the packed ice on the pavement, good on the soft powder on the trails.
5 - Get ahold of uhaul. Last time I checked, they didn't have the pattern, and will make you one if you let them borrow your truck for 3 days.
8 - Vinyl tends to rip, while carpet just stains
9 - Cloth. Definetly cloth. Vinyl is hot in the summer, and freezing cold in the winter.
10 - I've got a Thrush glasspack on mine. Not TOO loud. I keep it cause it's small and round. I kept ripping off my mufflers in the mud.

Make sure to flush the crap out of your heater core and coolant passages.
Clean out your cowl, as this is the intake for the heater/defroster.
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleontks View Post
3 - I've had good experience with the BFG A/T in the snow. Good on the packed ice on the pavement, good on the soft powder on the trails.
I've heard many people get along well with BFG A/Ts. My FIL has them on his TJ and seems to like them quite a bit. They wear like iron! My goal is to keep the tires that are currently on it though since they're brand new (3/4" tread depth) and sipe them in hopes of added winter traction. If they end up being absolutely horrible in slick conditions, I'll probably consider installing Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs.

Quote:
5 - Get ahold of uhaul. Last time I checked, they didn't have the pattern, and will make you one if you let them borrow your truck for 3 days.
Interesting! I'll look into that!

Quote:
Make sure to flush the crap out of your heater core and coolant passages.
Clean out your cowl, as this is the intake for the heater/defroster.
I know the radiator was recently cleaned well. I'll flush the heater core and clean the cowl though as I don't think either of those have been done.

Thanks for your input!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
Nutz-n-Bolts
1981 J-Series Truck 

Wow, Nice J10, She really ought to clean up nice and sounds like she's in good hands. I'll be watching!!

60-79 CJ5 The best parts from several years combined to make one tough ALL JEEP CJ
81 J10 Pickup My newest acquisition undergoing a complete restoration
Nutz-n-Bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

btw, the hitch for a wagoneer/cherokee will not fit the j-truck. Our frames are wider in the rear.
Unread 09-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz-n-Bolts View Post
Wow, Nice J10, She really ought to clean up nice and sounds like she's in good hands. I'll be watching!!
Thanks!

Quote:
btw, the hitch for a wagoneer/cherokee will not fit the j-truck. Our frames are wider in the rear.
Roger that! Thanks for the info!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

This weekend it looks like we're going to install:

D.U.I. Distributor, Plugs, and Wires
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
Holley 4160 Carburetor

Pictures of my goodies:

I've been doing some research trying to figure out what I need...

I think I already have everything I need for the ignition.

As for the intake manifold, I am ordering a Fel-Pro gasket and I *think* I need to order Bracket #8034 which is the Throttle Cable Adapter. Comparing the picture above the picture below, I don't think the black bracket on the intake manifold is going to work.

Also, should I buy the manifold bolt kit for the intake manifold? It's only around $20.

My FIL was talking about removing the valve covers for this installation. Eventually, I'm going to buy some 'fancy' valve covers and realize now that the valve covers don't need removed for the installation of the intake manifold and carburetor. I could save a few bucks on gaskets and what not by leaving the valve covers alone until I'm ready to replace them. Thoughts on this?

Next up, do I need to look into a spacer for the carb? For now, I'm going to reuse the air cleaner but will be replacing it quite soon.

Am I missing anything that stands out to anyone? I appreciate the help!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.