1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 200 Old 03-04-2014, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
Some things running through my head...

I currently have the distributor advanced to about 15 and haven't had any pinging. It usually starts right up, even in the cold, though I have had a spell or two where it fights me for no reason...

Here in a little while (probably later than sooner), an exhaust upgrade will be in the books. I figured I'd wait to tune the carb until I finish the exhaust since that may change things. To add to that thought, I'll have an O2 bung welded in so I can install a wide band O2 sensor. Once this is all done, I'll properly set up the distributor and carb (after a TON of research and lernin').

Now, I'm a little hesitant to wait that long to at least start tinkering with the carb. Reason being, there's a "dead spot" at the beginning of the throttle. If I baby into the throttle, it's fine. If I jump past the dead spot, it's fine. If I jump right into the spot, it'll want to sputter out. Just for shiggles, I threw in some 93 octane on the last fill up and think it may be a little better. If it is, it's not quite better enough to write home about.

Symptom 2: I feel like I have to rev pretty high off the line to keep it from sputtering out. Once I'm moving, it feels OK, though at times I feel it should have more spunk as I'm increasing the throttle. I'm not talking about 'I thought this thing would burn out at 40 MPH' spunk but more of 'I keep adding throttle and I don't feel much of an increase in acceleration/power' spunk.

Symptom C: I JUST noticed on the last outing that if I get into the throttle too quick, she'll backfire a smidge.

Some of my research a while back led me to think the power valve is off/damaged. My father-in-law said this carb has a power valve check ball and that the valve itself shouldn't be damaged. He was also told that this (rebuilt) carb was tuned to match the 360 with the Edelbrock Performer intake manifold (which is currently installed as well).

Now, I haven't been in this carb (Holley 4160 tweaked into a makeshift Truck Avenger, by the way) at all nor do I know anything about these. The most carb work I've done is on small engines. I don't have a clue what jets/valves are in here so your guess is as good as mine. That said, I'll contribute useless information and tell you Springfield, IL is at an altitude of: 586 ft.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be off? Basically, where do I start knowing that I'll probably give the thing a good once over as soon as I do the exhaust and wide band O2, which won't be anytime extremely soon.

Also, I've had plenty of coffee today. When I read through my post, I realized I sound ridiculous.

~Chris
His: 2004 WJ - OME HD 'Kolak' Lift -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 1979 J-10 - 3" on 33s -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 2009 Expedition
His: 1978 F250 Custom -

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
"You can't recycle tartar sauce."
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_80 View Post
Weird, I didn't realize you could use vomit as coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 200 Old 03-04-2014, 10:28 AM
super98lsc
1999 WJ 

Chris, off the cuff it sounds like you may not have enough accelerator pump shot. This is the spring/screw/nut on the accelerator linkage. Loosening the nut makes the screw longer this adds pump shot. Try backing it out 2-3 turns and see how it feels. If no change then put it back where you had it so count the turns.

Let me know the outcome.

06-Corvette z51-6spd,b&b,K&N low miles.
77-Corvette Stingray 496 BBC/TH400 built 667hp+
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
post #93 of 200 Old 03-04-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
This little 'fella? I watched a video on how to adjust it to set it properly. I'll give it a shot this weekend and let you know how it turns out! Thanks for the tip!

Top left in the background...

Top right...

~Chris

Quote:
Quote:

post #94 of 200 Old 03-04-2014, 01:46 PM
super98lsc
1999 WJ 

Do that and also make certain the idle screws are set right. What can happen is people will adjust the idle too high on the throttle linkage and have the metering block screws on the sides set too lean and you end up idling off the main circuit instead of the idle air/fuel bleeds. It creates all sorts of stumbles and flat spots. You mentioned this carb was made into a truck avenger?? The jets are easy to check by popping the bowls off but have spare gaskets in hand in case they rip. Use blue non sticks as replacements. If the primaries are too lean in general you will have flat acceleration and such. Reading plugs isn't so great with today's fuels but if they are really white then your lean if black were rich. Pull a few and check. Post pics here if u want feedback.

06-Corvette z51-6spd,b&b,K&N low miles.
77-Corvette Stingray 496 BBC/TH400 built 667hp+
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
post #95 of 200 Old 03-04-2014, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by super98lsc View Post
You mentioned this carb was made into a truck avenger??
Here are probably too many pictures but people as they say, they're worth 1000 words. I'll let you know what I find/post up more pictures later. Thanks again!

These are stamped 109:

The secondaries are stamped 311:

~Chris

Quote:
Quote:
post #96 of 200 Old 03-10-2014, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
Well, I didn't get a chance to tinker with the truck this weekend. I ended up having problems with the WJ which need my attention more. Because of the WJ issues, the J-10 stepped up to the plate for an afternoon errand - my father-in-law and I took the truck for a drive to pick up a '78 Harley. On the last stretch of the trip, I was pleasantly surprised (and a bit confused) to find that it was running wonderfully. However, after we unloaded the Harley, I noticed a strong fuel smell. I later confirmed I was dripping gas out of the freshly filled tank. I think it stopped but it's hard to tell how much dripped out... maybe 1/4 to 1/2 tank... It looks like I have another task on my hands!

~Chris

Quote:
Quote:
post #97 of 200 Old 03-10-2014, 09:16 AM
CrawlingForward
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When it rains (gasoline).....

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
post #98 of 200 Old 03-19-2014, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
I haven't had much time to work on the J-10. The WJ stacked up some problems (radiator fan, crankshaft position sensor, emergency brake, power steering pump) because it was jealous of the attention I was giving to the J-10. Since it's our baby carrier, it takes precedence. I did, however, have time to investigate the leaking fuel issue. I haven't had a chance to test my fix but I'm crossing my fingers it was a loose hose clamp on one of the lines running into the gas tank. When I get a few minutes to take her out for ride, I'll fill it up and see what happens.

In lighter news, I've seen a nice looking Wag on a TV show and twice I've mentioned to my wife that they're pretty neat. I was shocked when she agreed. I jokingly mentioned we could get one for her. She responded that she'd be fine with that as long as it was painted 'pretty'. Oh, the FSJ addiction.

~Chris

Quote:
Quote:
post #99 of 200 Old 03-19-2014, 08:49 AM
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
I haven't had much time to work on the J-10. The WJ stacked up some problems (radiator fan, crankshaft position sensor, emergency brake, power steering pump) because it was jealous of the attention I was giving to the J-10. Since it's our baby carrier, it takes precedence. I did, however, have time to investigate the leaking fuel issue. I haven't had a chance to test my fix but I'm crossing my fingers it was a loose hose clamp on one of the lines running into the gas tank. When I get a few minutes to take her out for ride, I'll fill it up and see what happens.

In lighter news, I've seen a nice looking Wag on a TV show and twice I've mentioned to my wife that they're pretty neat. I was shocked when she agreed. I jokingly mentioned we could get one for her. She responded that she'd be fine with that as long as it was painted 'pretty'. Oh, the FSJ addiction.
Wouldn't be talking about the GW on Breaking Bad by any chance? I'm watching all those now and it's a treat seeing that every day.

Gary (gazzo)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gazzos-cj10-truck-2185617/
post #100 of 200 Old 03-19-2014, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
Actually, my wife started watching a show called Once Upon A Time and after a little while, I ended up joining her. I was excited to see the GW pop up. Looks like the internet is saying it's an 86...

~Chris

Quote:
Quote:
post #101 of 200 Old 03-19-2014, 09:06 AM
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Actually, my wife started watching a show called Once Upon A Time and after a little while, I ended up joining her. I was excited to see the GW pop up. Looks like the internet is saying it's an 86...
The one on BB reminds me of one sold here in oz a year or so ago for 25k. Red too. I recently found out only 28 89 GWs were brought to Australia and converted to RHD by the "factory" in Brisbane.

Gary (gazzo)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gazzos-cj10-truck-2185617/
post #102 of 200 Old 03-19-2014, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
Wow that's pricey!

~Chris

Quote:
Quote:
post #103 of 200 Old 03-28-2014, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
I still haven't had time to work on the truck. Hopefully soon...

Anyway, here are a few pictures from a little while ago when my brother and I went shooting. I backed into the timber so we didn't have to carry as much. When we were finished, I couldn't help but to drive down to the bottom.

~Chris

Quote:
Quote:
post #104 of 200 Old 04-08-2014, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
I STILL haven't fiddled much with the truck but I hopped in Saturday and noticed a 'tssst, tssst, tssst' noise. I popped the hood and sure enough, the line to the vacuum advance on the distributor was cracked. I chopped off the cracked end and plugged it in before heading out. Ultimately, the drive went well. It still doesn't feel tip top yet but it feels much better than it was in the past. I *think* that dead spot in the pedal is currently better than it was. That being said, it still dies if I hit the brakes too hard which tells me the brake booster is leaking (and has been since I bought it). My father-in-law and I were talking and he pointed out that if it's leaking while braking, it's leaking all the time and tuning on the carb would probably be better warranted AFTER taking care of the brake booster issue.

Queue internet searches: There appear to be two different types of brake boosters - single diaphragm and dual diaphragm. From my research, I think my 79 has a single diaphragm. Do I stick with a single or do I go with a dual? What's the difference? I don't know much about these things and figured I'd ask. School me on boosters!

Oh, and the above advice hasn't been forgotten. When I actually get time to work on this, I'll be re-reading everything! I still haven't even had time to mess with the pile of steel from Post #90!

~Chris

Quote:
Quote:
post #105 of 200 Old 04-10-2014, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
I've done more research and it appears a dual diaphragm brake booster will create more pressure applied to the brakes. I'll probably go this route unless someone has a reason not to. I'm still glad to hear any thoughts from anyone!

I also finally dumped my camera pictures and figured I'd throw a couple random ones on here. The first picture shows the concrete under the truck after just parking. The second shows the amount of fuel leaked in about an hour. It turns out, the filler hose on the gas tank wasn't tight enough and was dripping when the tank was full.

Here's the Harley we picked up about a month ago still loaded in the truck. It was neat hauling a '78 with a '79.

~Chris

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.