Chevy 350 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Chevy 350 swap

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
Dragonwagon
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Chevy 350 swap

I am sick of trying to find parts for the 360 and there are millions of 350's sitting around, any suggestions on what vehicle i should pull the drive train on? Or has anyone done this already? Just more of an idea than anything else thanks

Dragonwagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwagon
I am sick of trying to find parts for the 360 and there are millions of 350's sitting around, any suggestions on what vehicle i should pull the drive train on? Or has anyone done this already? Just more of an idea than anything else thanks
The price of the swap comes out to about even with a rebuild of your 360. I'm not biased either way. I just weighed my options and dropped in a 401.
Unread 03-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

What parts are you looking for? Pretty sure anything you can get for a SBC you can get for an AMC, just less variety! What issues are you having?

In all honesty, a jeep with a 350 in it is one of the things I hate the most. Heck if Fuel Injection is what your after, you can make a GM unit work on your AMC!

Many times all these motors need to run good is a new timing chain, a carb rebuild and an emissions delete.
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

i've never been unable to get any given part at a regular old parts store.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
i've never been unable to get any given part at a regular old parts store.
X2 or summit.

There are even engine builders who make turn key AMC V8's. They can't be too rare if someone is making money off of them.

Just my East Texas junk yards have slim pickings.
Unread 03-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwagon View Post
I love the AMCs, and don't think you should do it, but.....

If I were to do it, I'd get a 80s jimmy, take engine, tranny, tcase, and axles. Mount it up and get some driveshafts.

Or drive the jimmy, and sell the jeep.
Unread 03-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleontks View Post
Or drive the jimmy, and sell the jeep.
There's the cheapest option!

When I started looking for a Wagoneer I was looking at parts availability, even for my '66 it wasn't an issue for me (except for parts guys going, you mean a Chevy 327? No... I do not)... What parts have you been having such difficulty finding?

"Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple. This has been my whole life's motto." –Mikhail Kalashnikov

“And note that it behooves a good Workman to hammer his Work as true as he can; for one quarter of an hour spent at the forge, may save him an hours work at the vice.” Josheph Moxon “Mechanick Exercises” from the year 1703

Nick’s 1966 Wagoneer Build
84_Fiero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84_Fiero View Post
There's the cheapest option!

When I started looking for a Wagoneer I was looking at parts availability, even for my '66 it wasn't an issue for me (except for parts guys going, you mean a Chevy 327? No... I do not)... What parts have you been having such difficulty finding?
It was my understanding that parts for these vigilante's are pretty hard to come by?

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 03-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #9
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
It was my understanding that parts for these vigilante's are pretty hard to come by?
At the auto parts store, where they don't realize AMC made a 327 or that they were a car company it can be difficult. My engine builder buddy didn't have a problem finding any parts for it. Actually there's a Vigilante on craigslist in my area right now for $400, if I had the money and the space I'd be all over it.

Just depends how hard you look for stuff.

"Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple. This has been my whole life's motto." –Mikhail Kalashnikov

“And note that it behooves a good Workman to hammer his Work as true as he can; for one quarter of an hour spent at the forge, may save him an hours work at the vice.” Josheph Moxon “Mechanick Exercises” from the year 1703

Unread 03-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #10
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84_Fiero

At the auto parts store, where they don't realize AMC made a 327 or that they were a car company it can be difficult. My engine builder buddy didn't have a problem finding any parts for it. Actually there's a Vigilante on craigslist in my area right now for $400, if I had the money and the space I'd be all over it.

Just depends how hard you look for stuff.
I thought it was a Nash/AMC 327?
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #11
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
I thought it was a Nash/AMC 327?
It was originally a Nash/AMC 327 when they first came out in the '50s but by the time the Vigilante rolled along Nash was gone so I've just heard them called an AMC-327. What I just said is here-say only, and I have no clue if it is really correct or not.

Unread 03-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #12
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84_Fiero

It was originally a Nash/AMC 327 when they first came out in the '50s but by the time the Vigilante rolled along Nash was gone so I've just heard them called an AMC-327. What I just said is here-say only, and I have no clue if it is really correct or not.
The Jeeps have an interesting pedigree that's for sure. Have you thought about transplanting a healthy 360 or 401?
Unread 03-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

I too have looked at all the swaps... LS as well as my 2 Block Chevy's I have sitting in the garage. Just figured why change out a fresh 229 T-Case / 727 HD trans plus all the brackets, exhaust etc. By the time you add all that cr@p up its going to cost more than any savings on a brand swap for essentially same/less technology and a lower quality block casting. I own/owned a bunch of GM stuff and the blocks have way lower nickel content and the heads DO NOT flow as well as the AMC unless you swap in Vortec late model iron units or go aftermarket. Chevy originally went to 4 bolt mains because the blocks were not as strong as the Olds/Pontiac/Buick/Cad stuff, hence one of the reasons Chevy's were the working mans car.

1. Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap is around 300 bucks new.. same as SBC
2. Good forged pistons are 4-600 either way need to bump compression to run a decent cam and gain any efficiency or power.
3. Rings/bearings all the same price
4. Chevy SBC crank and rods all cast in most cases and forgings cost about the same
5. machine work same but the AMC has a better block and likely less bore taper over time.
6. Good Chevy heads... about the same as rebuilding AMC heads and same price for bolt on aftermarkets with valves/springs.
7. Cam Lifter/chain = same

If you do the swap you might as well go with a 5.3 LS engine install an OD trans/case. Least then you gain technology/power and save weight and grab an OD in the process.

End of day I am hunting a 401 down. They are all forged internally and will cost me the same to build one of them vs. one of my 454's.
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Have you thought about transplanting a healthy 360 or 401?
I wouldnt, those 327's were awesome engines that put out plenty of power even in our fat-arse rigs.

unique too!

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 03-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
Dragonwagon
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Im thinkin about pulling the motor and trans out of the last carb model of a 3/4 ton chevy truck with the 350 its not that the 360 was bad its just i own all chevy vehicles and i have tons of parts for them but the wagoneer doesnt really fit
Dragonwagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.