Carb rebuild - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Carb rebuild

Huge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #16
Njokela
1977 FSJ Wagoneer 

OK so I checked for vac leaks, put a new gasket on the carb and ensured it was seated tightly, new plugs, wires distributor cap, fuel pump, filter, battery, topped off all fluids including tranny, and STILL she cuts out unless I am giving gas and even still, she cuts out if I hit a speed bump. Which vacuum line do I connect the gauge to so I can set the idle and mix screws? If you have a picture depicting it that would be most helpful! If you have any other ideas I would love to hear and try them!

Njokela is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #17
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

There is a port in front of the carb directly into the intake. Tee into that port, you should have constant vacuum at that port. A tachometer would be helpful also. Did you do the brake cleaner spray at the base of the carb, if there is a leak it will slow the idle slightly.
The speed bump thing has me thinking a thorough sight inspection of the electric is in order
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #18
Njokela
1977 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quick question regarding the handheld tach, I went to 5 different stores (pep boys,auto zone, local shops) and all I found was a vacuum tester. Do u have a handheld tach you recommend?
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #19
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

I have one on an old craftsman timing light. Not sure, about handheld. Old tach & dwell meter maybe. Ill do some searchin.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00062...sr=8-1&pi=SL75
Unread 03-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #20
Njokela
1977 FSJ Wagoneer 

So speaking of electrical, I need to put up pics. This Wag is in pretty rough shape, I honestly feel as though I saved her from the PO. However, I know for a fact that a new, full wiring harness is necessary during the rebuild, but where should I look specifically since the engine is cutting out. I am assuming there is a ground somewhere, because if I leave the battery plugged in, she slowly drains. Unfortunately I am very new to all of this, so it is a huge learning process and slow at best. Thanks again to everyone for their help!
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #21
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

While the vehicle is off, if you unhook the negative cable from the battery, and run a test light between the cable end and the battery, it will light if you have any draws. Keep an eye on the light, and start wiggling wires by hand until the light goes on/off. Start inspecting your wires there.
Unread 04-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #22
Njokela
1977 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ok guys sorry it has been so long, here's the update. Pulled the carb and both jets were seized in it one of which wasn't even spraying fuel any more. Rebuilt the carb, new fuel filter, realized my egr vacuum and distributor vacuum advance were run incorrectly and now she turns over and runs fairly strong, adjusting the idle screws will take some time but I had her up to 60 on the main road today. Super excited thanks for all the help!!
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #23
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njokela View Post
Ok guys sorry it has been so long, here's the update. Pulled the carb and both jets were seized in it one of which wasn't even spraying fuel any more. Rebuilt the carb, new fuel filter, realized my egr vacuum and distributor vacuum advance were run incorrectly and now she turns over and runs fairly strong, adjusting the idle screws will take some time but I had her up to 60 on the main road today. Super excited thanks for all the help!!
Good deal. The follow ups do a lot to help the next person

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.