Carb rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Carb rebuild

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Njokela
1977 FSJ Wagoneer 

Carb rebuild

Hello everyone, I am brand new to fsj's having rescued one from a driveway here in Virginia beach. I was working on it today and put a new fuel filter on it because she would start and idle but cut out while driving. After I put the new in line filter in, fuel is leaking out of the fuel line to the lower part of the carb, and shooting out of the over flow port on the filter. I'm assuming rebuilding the carb and putting new lines in should resolve the problem. It's the 5.9l with the 2 barrel carb. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Njokela is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Does the filter have a return line back to the tank
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Njokela
1977 FSJ Wagoneer 

This is going to seem dumb...the filter has one inlet, two outlet. One is level with the inlet tube, the other is lower, is that supposed to return to the tank? The guy I had it from had a piece of cut hose to it. If its supposed to be a return to the tank, where do I look for a missing line to put a new hose?
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Yes one in, two out. The center out to the carb, the offset out (at 12:00 position) to the return. The return line should be running with the feed line on the frame. I would trace the feed line from pump back to tank and see if I could find the loose return line. That return also acts like a regulator, so if its plugged off, too much pressure
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:13 AM   #5
Njokela
1977 FSJ Wagoneer 

Awesome thank you so much for the help, last question...do you know of any diagrams or how to's for this issue as Weill as carb rebuilding? Thanks again!
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #6
timgr
1975 CJ6 

Year/model? Equipment?

It's specific to the year and equipment.

Your best source is the factory service manual, available for purchase as a reprint. If you buy a carburetor kit to rebuild the carb, it will contain an exploded drawing and some instructions.

There is some information on www.oljeep.com - but not for every year. Take a look there.
1) '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps. 2) '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, KOs, 7600 GVWR 3) '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top 4) '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgr View Post
Year/model? Equipment?

It's specific to the year and equipment.

Your best source is the factory service manual, available for purchase as a reprint. If you buy a carburetor kit to rebuild the carb, it will contain an exploded drawing and some instructions.

There is some information on www.oljeep.com - but not for every year. Take a look there.
The oljeep site maybe will have the fuel diagrams. I'm going to assume since you referred to a 5.9 not 360 its late 80s or later. It is specific to the year. Look this link over and see if its the same carb. Its a great rebuild write up
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...t=2150+rebuild
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
Njokela
1977 FSJ Wagoneer 

Just shows how new I am, it's the amc 360, a 1977 wag. Pretty much needs to be fully restored, but I figure its worth the time and its something I've always wanted to do. I'll post pics soon of where I am with the progress.
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
timgr
1975 CJ6 

There's a 1976 FSM here http://oljeep.com/gw/76_tsm/Section4.pdf that will describe a similar carburetor. A '77 could have a Motorcraft 2100 or a Motorcraft 2150 carburetor - both are shown in the '77 service manual.
1) '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps. 2) '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, KOs, 7600 GVWR 3) '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top 4) '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Unread 02-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
Njokela
1977 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ok so one problem leads to another. So I fixed the return fuel line thank you to everyone for their input. No more spraying fuel. Now the engine will start and run idle, I can rev the engine and everything. However when I put it in drive it goes for a little bit then sputters and stalls out. The guy who brought it over had it running super rich, I could smell the fuel. I pulled the distributor cap cleaned it, and the wires are new. So any ideas on the issue? Also the carb is getting fuel, since the bowl keeps refilling. I'm thinking maybe fouled spark plugs??
Unread 02-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
timgr
1975 CJ6 

Vacuum leak? You got everything connected up right? No leaks around the carburator base? The PO may have cranked up the idle mixture to compensate for a vacuum leak.

If your plugs are fouled, clean them and put them back. Oily plugs points to internal engine problems (ie a worn-out engine). If they are fouled with gas, that should clear up once you get the carburetion straightened out.

If this were my car, I'd do a complete tune up (plugs, wires, cap & rotor, filters, oil, etc.) before I tried to figure out any other issues. Used cars usually come with junky old ignition parts, and you'll want to know the history of all the ignition parts anyway - the only way to do that is to replace them all. I'd replace all the hoses and belts too ... typical stuff for an old used car.
Unread 02-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

check the vacuum line at the tranny. goes from rear of intake to the firewall and down to tranny, then there's usually a little section of soft tube onto the tranny.

do you still have/need the emissions crap?
Unread 02-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
Njokela
1977 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks for the head up. So the long story short, the guy I got it from put it together from some guys barn. I traded him two jackets and a helmet for it. I'm trying to get it running enough to get to my new house, once there I begin my complete rebuild and restoration. Now that you mention vacuum leak, I was hearing some air suction coming from the engine bay that I couldn't pin point. There are no more fluid leaks but air or vacuum leaks may be another story.
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
Njokela
1977 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ok so I just changed out all the spark plugs, she fires up and idles awesome. However putting it in drive she stalls out. Checked vacuum hoses an they all look intact, lubed the egr valve and it moves freely with manual compression. I dot know where to go from here...timing issue?
Unread 02-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
timgr
1975 CJ6 

The added load of the transmission in drive will slow the idle speed. Turn the idle up at the linkage (idle stop) until it idles in drive. Use a tachometer to set the proper idle speed. There is a spec for idle speed in drive.

Check for vacuum leaks around the base of the carburetor, and around the manifold. Test manifold vacuum with a vacuum gauge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.