To Buy or not to buy....(86 Grand Wagoneer) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > To Buy or not to buy....(86 Grand Wagoneer)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Kate1did
1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

To Buy or not to buy....(86 Grand Wagoneer)

Ok, so I've got a chance to buy a 1986 Grand Wagoneer (previously owned an 89), and the price seems reasonable to me...however my better half is arguing that it's more than he'd spend. As I know of them these are the issues with the 86:

1.) a/c but needs charged or compressor,
2.) Runs but has electrical issue draining battery and making it difficult to charge. (see #7)
3.) Interior a little rough,
4.) needs paint,
5.) needs a new passenger fender,
6.) tailgate has dents.
7.) Had a short in the oil sending unit that fried some wiring and caused a short which drained and fried the battery
8.) some vacuum leak
9.) Needs smog epa crap (yeah I'm not a fan) repaired or removed (I'm not in an emissions testing state so you can guess which I'd do lol)
10) supposed rebuild of engine/tranny or transfer case by previous owner
11.) abt. 150k showing on odometer
How much is a fair offer knowing this...the body is ROUGH, have NO idea on frame condition (yet to see it in person), and the interior is..well, typical for an unrestored 86 used as an off road vehicle.

So, help me out here..what's a fair offer?

Kate1did is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Sounds like the $800-$1100 range to me. A lot of folks in my neck-o-da woods seem to be trying to cash in on the "collectable" phrase with the GW, even though most are close to the scrap yard state of repair.
"Its a Jeep thing, and I still don't understand"
05 Renegade OME 927, 947, top plate, JBA 4.5s ,ST/MAXX 245/75/16
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.