Bucket seats - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Bucket seats

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-15-2002, 07:35 PM   #1
Junior

Bucket seats

ok, the one problem I have with my comanche, is the bench, don't get me wrong, it's REALLY comfortable, moreso than any buckets I"ve ever been in, but it doesn't leave any room to put in a sound system.

ya, I know, stupid waste of money, but hey, I'm a teenager, gimme a break.

Only other concern with the bench is that if ya ever got rear ended, wiplash would be almost unavoidable, ne headrest to lean back against before you got hit, you'd be hard pressed to not put yer head thru the back window.

anyways, is there an easy way to switch the bench with buckets? I'm pretty nervous about the lack of headrests, even if the bench IS more comfortable.

Junior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2002, 12:04 PM   #2
jpcomanche

Some Comanches came from the factory with buckets. They were standard in all Eliminators and optional in a few of the high end models. If you are really lucky you could find some Comanche buckets to swap in. Otherwise it's fairly easy to swap in Cherokee buckets. I did this with my first Comanche because I thought the bench was uncomfortable. The Comanche and Cherokee floorboards are slightly different, so the Cherokee buckets won't just bolt in. You will have to remove the bases from both the buckets and the bench. This requires drilling out the rivets. Then the bases from the bench wil have to be bolted to the tracks on the buckets. Then the buckets can be bolted in. You can also add the center console out of the Cherokee if you want. It would be best to get the buckets out of a two door Cherokee, so they will tilt forward and you can still access behind the seat. I used buckets out of a four door and it wasn't that big of a deal.
jpcomanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2002, 12:13 PM   #3
Kev
Master of the Obvious

What year is your Comanche? Some years/models came with bucket seats so maybe just a search at a local junk yard may turn up some that will just bolt right in. Another possibility would be finding some buckets (S-10, Ranger, small to mid-sized car seats maybe?) at the junk yard that will fit in the cab comfortably and you'll just need to adapt (fabricate brackets, buy brackets, make new holes for the bolts, etc) it to fit your Comanche.

If you can't find a local wrecking yard with the right parts there are some online if you want to pay shipping. You can also put in parts requests at some online salvage yards and they will try to locate the part for you, but I don't know what type of fees they might charge for this service.

J&W Auto Wreckers
BJ's Used Jeep Parts

After-market seats are probably another option although the cost maybe more.

HTH

Kev

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2002, 07:14 PM   #4
Junior

it's an 88, I heard somewhere about being able to drop mustang seats into 88 wranglers, but I dunno, I'm not particularily fond on rigging brackets or anything with somethin that safety oriented, if I could find something that'd just bolt down, that'd be good tho. I'll check local scrapyard, and maybe see if the buckets out of an XJ will fit.
Unread 08-17-2002, 05:09 PM   #5
Junior

thanks jp, I'll see if I can find an eliminator at a scrap yard around here and get the seat from it, they should go down pretty easy, but if I can't find any, I know it's REAL easy to find 2 door XJ's @ scarpyards. I'll grab some of those if I can't find an MJ.

so just pull the bench off the bracket, then bolt the buckets down to the bracket from the bench?

also, if I keep the centre console from the XJ, will that interfere with my shifter? (my mj is a 5 speed). I had my helmet floating around in the middle there for a week or so, and that got pretty uncomfortable for shifting.

thanks for all the advice guys, this is definatly on the to do list.
Unread 08-17-2002, 05:12 PM   #6
Junior

O, also jp, what do you think of the K&N, that's the other thing on the to do list. does it really make a noticable difference? or is it ona those, just so I can put the sticker on the side things.
Unread 08-19-2002, 09:20 AM   #7
jpcomanche

The center console doesn't interfere with shifting at all. My Eliminator (it's a five speed) came with a console. You can even pull the console out of an automatic XJ, there all the same. Your shifter boot will snap into the opening.

About the K&N. I didn't notice any difference when I put mine in. When it gets dirty, I probably won't bother cleaning it. I'll just get a new $3 Fram to replace it. I'm still not sure of how well the K&N filters out small particles. I got it because I wanted to try it, but now I think they are unnecessary for a stock engine.
Unread 08-20-2002, 07:40 PM   #8
Junior

for the counsel, what about the E-brake, in the comanche it's a kick brake on the left, but the counsel has an opening for a hand brake on the right, can I just move the cables to the handbrake? or should I just leave it disconnected.
Unread 08-21-2002, 02:21 PM   #9
jpcomanche

The console in my Eliminator has an extra plastic piece that covers the slot where the hand brake would be on an XJ. In the SporTruck that I converted to buckets, I just left the rubber flaps that fill in the gap in the console and left the foot brake.
Unread 08-21-2002, 07:11 PM   #10
Junior

ya, sounds good, I may try to swap the whole mechanism, dunno how tough it would be, but I can't picture it being that big a deal, I'd have to do it at school tho, need to have a hoist that can lift the truck high enough to work comfortably on the underside.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.