Bouncy Speedo needle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Bouncy Speedo needle

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
usererror
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Bouncy Speedo needle

My speedometer needle bounces once I get over 60mph. What causes this? Is it a speed sensor going bad?

I rarely go over 60mph, but I am curious. It is one of the few flaws with this Jeep.

usererror is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
CSP

Speedo cable needs lubrication.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
usererror
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Is that the cable coming from the accelerator pedal to the throttle?

Is it difficult to remove & lube? Tips, suggestions for doing so?
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

This is the cable going from the speedometer to the transfer case (if you have cruise control, it would have a split at the cruise control unit and you would have 2 cables).

It isn't hard, just disconnect both ends, pull out the center part, lube it, put it back together, done.
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
usererror
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks, BJ. I do have cruise control. I will follow the second cable coming off the cruise unit that goes to the transfer case. Thanks!

I would guess that once this issue is fix it'll be a bit easier for the Woody to set the cruise when its going what I think is 62mph...
Unread 09-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
usererror
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

I must be missing something. Forgive me, I'm not a super guru on engines. Am I looking at the throttle?

The pic below shows two cables, the one with the string of beads goes to what I think is the Cruise Control unit. The lower cable goes into the firewall to the gas pedal I assume. the one below with the spring, goes to another metal arm. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

Thanks

Unread 09-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #7
megajeep
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Those are your throttle cables. The speedo cables come up from the transfer case to the cruise control sensor near the firewall near the area where the wire harness comes through the firewall under the brake vacuum booster where. There are actually two cables one comes up from the transfer case and screw into the cruise control sensor. Then the second one goes from the sensor to the speedometer.
megajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
usererror
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ah, I think I found it, I started at the transfer case this time. Is this it below in the upper right corner?

It then goes up by the firewall and goes into another small device and then comes out and goes into the firewall toward the instrument cluster, it never goes to the cruise unit?

Do I run any risk of breaking anything easily trying to unscrew the connector from the transfer case? I tried by hand wouldn't budge, guessing I'll have to use pliers or vice grips...
Unread 09-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

No, you should be ok, go ahead and use some pliers to loosen it and it will come right off.
Unread 09-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
usererror
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Fast Forward 2 years!

I disassembled the Speedometer cable sections today. I went to the parts store and asked them what I needed and they said I needed graphite powder. I got a tube and puffed it into each end of the cable shielding. As I pushed the actual cable back in, I puffed a bit more every foot or so. I did this on both sections and re-assembled. I took the Woody out for a test drive and I seem to have some improvement. I can now get up to 55mph before it starts bouncing past 55 and higher.

Does this mean I need to do more graphite powder? The inner cable itself was super clean. Picture are below. What is the electrical component that is in series with the speedometer cable?

Unread 09-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
CSP

I'd pull the cables out of the jacket and clean both very well, including the inside of the jacket. Some thing like Simple Green and water should help.

Then put it back together with the graphite like you did already. That electrical component is part of the cruise control I believe.
Unread 09-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #12
usererror
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

CSP - Thank you. I did not think to clean the inside of the jacket. I Just pulled the cables out, inspected them, they were shiny and clean, and then applied the graphite. I'll give that a try next weekend.

Does any new grease need to be applied at the transfer case connection?
Unread 09-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
CSP

No, do not add any grease.
Unread 09-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
pcoplin
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's probably the speedo head if it's only bouncing above a certain speed.

At 35 mph mine would bounce and read 10 high and stay there. Brought the speedo into the shop and they found play in the bushing. They rebuilt and and regaussed it for $60. Smooth as silk now.
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #15
usererror
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoplin View Post
It's probably the speedo head if it's only bouncing above a certain speed.

At 35 mph mine would bounce and read 10 high and stay there. Brought the speedo into the shop and they found play in the bushing. They rebuilt and and regaussed it for $60. Smooth as silk now.
You mean the speedo head inside the instrument cluster? It is only after a certain speed. Certainly something else I will check out as a possibility.

Is this something my local mechanic can fix, or would/should have experience with?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.