Blower Fan Not Usually Working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Blower Fan Not Usually Working

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
DrHicks
1994 ZJ 

Blower Fan Not Usually Working

Hey All ~

I recently bought an 89 Grand Wagoneer that's in remarkably good condition. There's one problem it has developed.

Yesterday the blower motor didn't start up when I started the Jeep, but came on shortly thereafter. This morning it did the same thing. Now it's not working at all.

The odd thing is that when I move the lever to AC, the blower motor comes on and runs as it should. But when it's on "heat" or "heat/defrost" or "defrost" the blower doesn't run.

Anybody got any great answers for this one?

THANKS!

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
ndm06
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

The AC and Heater functions have separate blower motors. The AC is under the passenger side dash. The heater blower motor is under the hood next to the heater core. Is the blower not running at all or is air not coming out of the heat duct? If not running, check the electrical connections at the blower motor and also to the blower resistor which is attached to the heater core. The connections can sometimes come loose and also make sure you have a good ground connection. If the blower is running but no air is coming out it may be a vacuum issue as their is a vacuum controlled damper door that opens when the heat is on to allow the air to flow into the cab.
ndm06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
DrHicks
1994 ZJ 

^ Awesome. Thank you!

I began thinking it was probably the resistor, but I'll grub around the heater blower motor & connections first.

Speaking of the resistor - if that is what it turns out to be - how, exactly do I get to that beast?
Unread 02-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
DrHicks
1994 ZJ 

Did a little more exploring this morning.

It's the resistor.

Fortunately, the resistor is located on the engine side of the firewall, instead of under the dash. Very easy to get to. It'll be replaced this afternoon.

Thanks again!

By the way, why does this kind of thing always happen when it's flippin' -5 degrees, with 25 mph winds?!
Unread 02-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
WagoneerCraig
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Awesome . good to know . Thanks for sharing
WagoneerCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
DrHicks
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagoneerCraig View Post
Awesome . good to know . Thanks for sharing
Hey - it gets better.

Went to change out the resistor, and found out that it was just really dirty and corroded connections. Cleaned everything up, and we're in business.

So tomorrow I take back the $25 resistor (yes, OReilly's said specifically that I could if I never installed it.)

Cha-Ching.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.