Belt Change? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Belt Change?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 11-02-2002, 07:34 PM   #1
Mr98Pontiac

Belt Change?

How in the world do I change the belt on an 89 4.0?

These motors are wayyyyy different than the GM's that im used to working on...........................

I see a belt tensioner under the power steering pump, which every way i turn it it still does not loosen the belt

Mr98Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2002, 08:19 AM   #2
Kev
Master of the Obvious

I can't speak from experience with your model, but when I've changed the serpentine belts I just put a wrench, socket, etc on the tensioner and pull it to take the pressure off and the old belt slides off. Does the tensioner move at all when you try to loosen it? Maybe it is froze up - you might be able to remove the bolts in the alternator or something to change it if you have enough room to work.

Hopefully someone else can post who has experienced a similar problem.

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2002, 08:34 AM   #3
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I know on the 2.5 the tensioner is stationary and you move the power steering pump... well your supposed to.... there are like 4 bolts to loosen on it first... but with my 2.5 even then it doesnt move... i have resorted to pulling off the coil wire and having someone click it while carefully easing it on... but after yesterday i will never do that again...... (dont ask) even though thats how i have done it since i purchased the jeep...
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2002, 10:22 AM   #4
Mr98Pontiac

Help!

I have tried everything............

Loosened every bolt on the power steering pump, tapped it with a hammer, you name it, I did it......Getting very frusterating...and the belt is torn halfway across & I dont wantt o be stranded

......someone has got to know...I cant find anything on the internet on how to do it, and I'm not about to spend $200 for the dealer to doit.......

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290613863
Mr98Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.