is it bad to get older j series? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > is it bad to get older j series?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
Peej03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

is it bad to get older j series?

I feel like when i look for parts or mods for early 70s they just arnt really out there.

I was looking for a stable tow rig and something that could take on the trail if it had too. do J-series have decent clearance or are they pretty low? I have not actually seen that many in person. I think we have two in town and both have lifts.

I'm looking at a j4000 right now but the aftermarket support seems really low.. and im not sure if its a mistake to pursue it because i dont know if it will have enough clearance.

1982 CJ5 - RIP 9/3/12

1971 AMC Javelin
Peej03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

The early J-trucks were pretty low (compared to the later 76-88 ones) and the axles aren't the greatest. Some will have 2 piece axles in the rear, they will all (73 and earlier) will have drum brakes in the front with closed knuckle front axle.

You should stick with 76 and up because they are much easier to get parts for...
Unread 06-19-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
CULate
1930 J-Series Truck 

What are people doing about Q-Track fluid for the old quadra-tracks pre 80? They took a special Jeep only quadra track fluid if I remember correct.
CULate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 02:44 AM   #4
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I'll have to make a note on that Q-track fluid - perhaps check with Borg-Warner next time I talk to them.

As far as the early J-series - WANT! I'm trying to find a pickup, and my top three choices are:

1974 or earlier J-series/Gladiator V8 (pref. AMC 260 or 401)
MJ w/242ci
1974 or earlier Dodge W-series Diesel or V8

Why 1974 or earlier? So I don't have to deal with the California Air Police - I can tune it properly and run it cleaner than it did from the factory (and cleaner than most trucks twenty years newer...)
Unread 06-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULate View Post
What are people doing about Q-Track fluid for the old quadra-tracks pre 80? They took a special Jeep only quadra track fluid if I remember correct.
Not all of them had Quadratracs and xfer case swaps can be done.

Quadratrac Fluid, you can pay $12-15 at Jeep or buy this stuff from us, it is still expensive but not too horrible:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/cartgenie/...p?pid=76&cid=4

The other option is to put a part time kit in the Quadratrac and then it just takes regular ATF.

Thanks.
Unread 07-02-2009, 04:48 AM   #6
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

AND you can get a 17% O/D kit if yours is only a highway hauler! (BTW, the BW Quadratrac was only available with TH400 between '73 and '79. There was a New Process NP219 called Quadratrac in '81/82 but they aren't related except by name. Those were behind 727 trans)
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.