Axle swap, vacuum hubs to locking hubs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Axle swap, vacuum hubs to locking hubs

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 04-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
1997jeepZJ
1997 ZJ 

Axle swap, vacuum hubs to locking hubs

okay so just recently i swapped a 1982 wagoneer dana44 with manual locking hubs on to my 83 wagoneer which had vacuum hubs and lines going to the diff cover. before i did this swap, i could put my jeep in 4wd and it would only turn the drive line, not the hubs, but now it wont spin the drive line, i dont have the drive line hooked up but it should still turn the yoke on the transfer case? i thought possible plugging the lines to the axle would fix this problem but it didnt. Now is there any way of fixing this issue? and has anyone done before? is there some sort of loop thats not being completed or something?

1997jeepZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
1997jeepZJ
1997 ZJ 

Axle swap, vacuum hubs to locking hubs

okay so just recently i swapped a 1982 wagoneer dana44 with manual locking hubs on to my 83 wagoneer which had vacuum hubs and lines going to the diff cover. before i did this swap, i could put my jeep in 4wd and it would only turn the drive line, not the hubs, but now it wont spin the drive line, i dont have the drive line hooked up but it should still turn the yoke on the transfer case? i thought possible plugging the lines to the axle would fix this problem but it didnt. Now is there any way of fixing this issue? and has anyone done before? is there some sort of loop thats not being completed or something?
Unread 04-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997jeepZJ

image-2205378417.jpg

Huh?

Is it a quadratrac?

If its a part time t-case it's not good to engage 4x4 with only the rear engaged.

But if it is in 4-low it should spin both the rear and front. Your chain might be broken.
Unread 04-10-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Your saying hubs. Are you referring to the vacuum operated slip collar on the axle housing. Can you provide a pic of your old axle.
Onward. If you had the vacuum actuated axle, yes you need to remove and plug those lines.
Also check the lines going to the actuator on the t-case for leaks. Do you know which t-case you have?
"Its a Jeep thing, and I still don't understand"
05 Renegade OME 927, 947, top plate, JBA 4.5s ,ST/MAXX 245/75/16
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
paintballtruck
1979 J-Series Truck 

is one tire turning one way and the other turning opposite if it is you are fine the spiders are turning not the ring and pinion
paintballtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
CSP

First thing you could have done was just swap the manual hubs to the old axle. The only thing that was vacuum on it was a disconnect in the third member. The hubs were full time (not vacuum activated).

Lock the hubs in and turn the yoke by hand. One or both of the tires should turn. If only one turns that's normal for an open differential. The old vacuum setup has nothing to do with the new axle engaging. If the lockouts are locked, it's effectively in 4WD once you have the front driveshaft re-installed.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRollin View Post
Your saying hubs. Are you referring to the vacuum operated slip collar on the axle housing.
That's exactly what the OP had. He swapped that axle out for a non-vac disconnect axle and is expecting to be able to lock the hubs, turn the tire/wheel and see the input yoke turning. It won't though because of the spiders in the open diff. He needs to turn the input yoke by hand and see that one or both of the wheels/tires are turning.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/a...-hubs-1507030/
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP

That's exactly what the OP had. He swapped that axle out for a non-vac disconnect axle and is expecting to be able to lock the hubs, turn the tire/wheel and see the input yoke turning. It won't though because of the spiders in the open diff. He needs to turn the input yoke by hand and see that one or both of the wheels/tires are turning.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/a...-hubs-1507030/
Oh gosh. I thought he meant he engaged the transfer case and the front drive shaft wasn't turning. If he's spinning the hub on an open diff that makes sense.
Unread 04-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Got it. That vacuum hub thing threw me
"Its a Jeep thing, and I still don't understand"
05 Renegade OME 927, 947, top plate, JBA 4.5s ,ST/MAXX 245/75/16
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

If it's a "select-track", (see diagram at bottom) you can NOT just plug the lines that origionally went to the front axle. The select track system sent vacuum to the front axle, and once the front axle engaged, vacuum was then sent to the T-case to engage it. So, if you simply cap the front axle lines, vacuum will never get to the T-case to engage it.

here's a vac diagram for the select track system.
Unread 04-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
1997jeepZJ
1997 ZJ 

this is a 229 trasnfercase, what do i need to do? loop the lines?
Unread 04-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #12
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Yep, prety much.
you basically need to duplicate the vac setup on the later 229 rigs. you can either "loop the lines", or you can remove the old lines that go to the front axle, and re-route the T-case lines so they come directly to the switch.

One rather important thing worth noting; with the 229 case, you MUST engage the hubs BEFORE you put the case in 4wd. Putting the case in 4wd with the hubs unlocked will cause the VC to burn up.
Unread 04-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
1997jeepZJ
1997 ZJ 

So as you said, later 229 jeeps, later is 84 and up? and whats the difference between the 229 off and 83 and later ones
Unread 04-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #14
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

short version: The T-case is the same. It's the axles and vacuum system that changed.

Long version:
As far as I know, all of the 229's were the same. What changed was the front axle, and it was because of the front axle that the vacuum systems were different between the years.

Here's a quote from the "axle identification" thread (top of the FSJ section)

"**1982-1984 (6-lug only) could have a vacuum disconnect front axle - I have seen some 1985's with this as well."

With the disconnect axle, the axle needs to be engaged first (in order to get the front drive shaft spinning so the case doesn't grind). To do this, they tied the two vacuum actuators together in such a way that the T-case would not get vacuum untill AFTER the front axle was engaged.

On the later 229 rigs the drive shaft was alwayse spinning because they did not use a disconnect axle. Because of that, the dash switch could be hooked directly to the vacuum actuator on the T-case.

Also, because the 229, when in 4 hi, is a full time/AWD case, it has a viscus coupling that connects the front and rear outputs. If you try to drive in 4hi with the front end disconnected (i.e. not locking your new manual hubs), the viscus coupling will overheat and self destruct.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.