Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

axle help with an 87 wagoneer

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  timgr 
#1 ·
so i just bought an 87 wagoneer and its my new project/ learning car, my buddy was talking about the gears in the rear, saying they were floating or something like that, basically only the wheels that have the most tension are spinning, well his uncle is a mechanic and he said he could get him to do my rear posi, where both rear wheels spin at the same time, i was wondering if it would be worth it for wheeling ? i want them both to spin so i can spin both wheels when i do a burn out with it, but other than that i didnt know if it would be worth the money to have him do that ? here in the next week or two i am ordering a new 4 inch leaf kit, and an aussie locker for the front

#5 ·
It would be something different to see doing a burnout so it would be neat to see. I think a posi rear end would be good for offroad action and burnouts. I guess deciding whether or not its worth it or not all comes down to how often do you plan on offroading with it or doing burnouts.

#6 ·
it will smoke out the one wheel right now and will do phenomenal donuts, but its not something i wanna just burnout in, i feel like after i lock the front and if my rears were both going at the same time it would be able to roll through **** like nothing, im waiting before i look into locking the rear because i want a decent locker for it and i dont want it to be locked all the time like the aussie locker will do

#7 ·
I put the posi in my j10. Noticeable improvement in offroad. I don't think I've ever tried to do a burnout, though.

I also did it myself. This is the one thing I definetly recommend paying somebody else to do. Admittedly, I'm not the best mechanic, and I had several bumps along the way, but it took me about 6 weeks to do. Probably 3 solid full days of work.

#10 ·
Which transfer case do you have? With full-time, they are usually set up open at both ends.

If not full-time, a LSD (limited slip differential) will help a lot on the trail.

The best choice is a selectable locker. You get the nice highway characteristics of the open axles, and locked axle traction when you need it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.