Axle help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Axle help

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 04-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
parkerparkerm

Axle help

I have a J20?(the 3/4 ton truck) axle, 8 lug,has some small leaf springs, a sway bar, crossover steering, 3.73s. Im looking at putting it in my '85 F250 to replace that TTB crap and it just so happens my rear axle tag says 3.73! One of the hubs is broken on the axle, and im looking to replace both of them with an aftermarket set since the axles have been sitting in the dirt for a year or so, and its all covered in rust. I plan to but all near bearings, remove all the rust and paint it black with a ford blue diff cover to throw it off.
Is this a D44 or a D44HD? I know how to tell a regular D44 and a D44HD apart when its from a 70s Ford, and i have a D44HD front axle and a Dana 60 rear axle complete with 4.10s, but the D44HD has a hub with broken internals, and it was in a crash so i dont think I want to use it. What should i be looking for? The guy I got it from showed me where it says 3.73, and its not locked up. How do I confirm what it is? What hubs can I buy? Sorry for all the questions, but I really need to ask it all so i can get this axle fixed. I still might decide to use the other running gear from my 77 instead.
Thanks!
-parkerparkerm

parkerparkerm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
CSP

I'm having trouble figuring out which axle you're going to use. The questions seem to be about one axle in one sentence and the other axle in another sentence.

The Jtruck D44 is going to be a bit narrow compared to a Ford D44.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
parkerparkerm

I'm wanting to use the jeep axle, where do I identify it? Everything I know is ford axles and a bit about dodge trucks and Chevy trucks. I don't sleek the language of anything else lol
Unread 04-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

If it is 8 lug it's a 44hd.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
parkerparkerm

Can I order parts for it as if it is a ford D44HD? It needs new hubs, all the seals and brakes
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
CSP

No you can't. Order parts for the Jeep truck it came out of. The lockout hubs would be the same, but that's about all that's safe to call the same as a Ford. Parts for it aren't any harder than to find for a Ford.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.