auxilary transmission cooler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > auxilary transmission cooler

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 03-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Rosental1
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

auxilary transmission cooler

I have a 1991 wagyy with factory towing package.

Just got a new aluminum radiator that is supposed to cool transmission as well. I'm not sure if I can get rid of the auxilary transmission cooller that's stuck in the front of the car or do I need to keep it.

I don't plan of using the car to tow anything heavy or for any distance.

any input from people who swapped radiators is welcomed!

Rosental1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

You can keep it or toss it. I would keep it. Your old radiator probaby has the tranny cooler in it as well.
Keeping it will keep your tranny temps down a little, and who knows when you'll have to tow something. Especially if you have a tow hitch
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Rosental1
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks for the input.

I was hoping to hear from people that upgraded to an aluminum radiator and ditched the old tranny.

The pipes to the auxiliary seemed almost clogged on mine .........
Rosental1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
timgr
1975 CJ6 

You need a transmission cooler of some kind.

You can use the one in the bottom of the radiator, or the auxiliary. A typical installation plumbs the auxiliary in series after the factory cooler in the radiator.
1) '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps. 2) '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, KOs, 7600 GVWR 3) '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top 4) '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Really no reason to ditch it unless your worried about leaks. I would keep it and replumb it, a cooler tranny is a happy tranny.
RockRollin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
radiator , transmission cooler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.