Any info - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Any info

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 01-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
DDowns
1956 J-Series Truck 

Any info

Hello! thanks for any and all information. I picked up a willys truck 1956 ruff very ruff, but NO rust. It came with a 1969 350 with a set of camel hump heads. Backed with a 350 turbo glide trans and a gear driven transfer case. not bad for $750.00
My questions are simple 1) using existing stock axles, has any one ever put disk breaks onto the front / and or the rear with out buying one of those over priced kits? If so what would the parts be from what make and year vehicle?
2)Has anyone ever put power steering, or a rack - pinion set up on this type of truck system were the existing gear box go's through the frame?
One way or another I will figure it out lol just trying to shorten the R/D part with known information. Thanks for any and all info. jeep it safe. Sorry for all the type-o's I have a broken right hand at the moment.

DDowns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

All I can offer is I wouldn't call a '56 Willys pickup a "J-series truck". The J-series wasn't made until '62 with the Gladiator.
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
DDowns
1956 J-Series Truck 

well in the pull down menu when I filled out my information, there was no selection for *just* truck
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
DDowns
1956 J-Series Truck 

Also I just checked and FC-150 is also not an option. It is, what it is.
Unread 01-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

i've seen a number of conversions for sale on 4x4 aftermarket sites and ebay, craig's list, here in the 'for sale' forum, etc., depending on what stock axles you have. actually, a cheaper and easier option might be to just swap your axles with more modern ones. jy axles aren't too expensive. just measure your axle length, spring pad mounting lengths, brake drum-brake drum lengths, etc., and find the axles that will come close. you will undoubtedly be getting stronger axles and much better brakes as well. you can always hang onto the original axles if you ever decide to sell it to a collector if you want.
just a thought.
Unread 02-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
DDowns
1956 J-Series Truck 

thanks

thanks for your time to in-put, and your thoughts. I was thinking the same thing, and will probable go in that direction.
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
timgr
1975 CJ6 

Conventional Jeep trucks and wagons from that era are "Utility Trucks" and "Utility Wagons." There were also forward control trucks, "FCs."

Yep, Jeepforum does not cover them. Is it a Utility or a FC?

I guess the site with the most traffic re these trucks would be Willystech http://mvpimages.net/willys/show.htm - but they have a mailing list format, not a forum like here.

Can't help you with the PS conversion, without knowing whether it's a FC or a Utility.

The brake question is easy if you want to keep your existing axles. Disk conversion is the same for all the Jeep closed-knuckle front axles. You can do this using junk yard parts. Check out the JP article http://mvpimages.net/willys/show.htm - there are lots of other resources on the internet if you search. If you have questions, I suggest you ask where there are lots of owners of old Jeeps with closed-knuckle front axles, like Willystech or earlyCJ5.
1) '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps. 2) '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, KOs, 7600 GVWR 3) '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top 4) '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.