JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Full Size Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/)
-   -   another gear oil type question... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/another-gear-oil-type-question-1520620/)

JUNK726 05-08-2013 04:31 PM

another gear oil type question...

ok..so before anyone flames me for asking..i HAVE googled/searched this til my eyes bled..:laugh: i just wanna be sure and ask the pros...it's the LAST fluid change left for me under the ol J10...1974 with dana 44's...i found the tags on both diffs..so i know my gearing/etc..just was not sure on the REAR...mainly IF or how to tell if i have anything "weird" or sumthin..trac loc/towing rear etc...tags say 3.54..so i assume stock..but do u guys run any LSD additives in these? or just plain ol gear oil and shut my face?! :D thanks again guys!! hit me...(gotta say..i am pretty proud that my tranny and quadratrac show NO leaks..yet! and oil pan...just a SMALL drip...the "before" was the puddle style in driveway..but NO more!!:cheers2:

cookingguy 05-08-2013 07:19 PM

If you Google the id number on the tag it should tell you if you are open diff or not somtime there is another tag on the diff that will tell you bit they can be lost fall off etc on the old rigs like ours

RockRollin 05-08-2013 07:36 PM

Well you have to pull the cover to change the fluid. See what ya have then. If you do need lsd additive, it won't hurt it to run to the parts store with just gear lube, or get it and return if not needed, or jack it up and turn one tire and see which way the opposing tire turns

pleontks 05-08-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockRollin (Post 15408107)
or jack it up and turn one tire and see which way the opposing tire turns

do that.

Jack up rear so both tires are off the ground. Spin one tire forward. If the other one spins forward, you have a l/s and need the additive. If the other tire spins backwards, you're open, and just fluid is fine

JUNK726 05-08-2013 11:01 PM

awesome! thanks guys! jacked up rear end..spun the tire and other tire went opposite way! so looks like im goin regular gear oil!:)

5-90 05-09-2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JUNK726 (Post 15407256)
ok..so before anyone flames me for asking..i HAVE googled/searched this til my eyes bled..:laugh: i just wanna be sure and ask the pros...it's the LAST fluid change left for me under the ol J10...1974 with dana 44's...i found the tags on both diffs..so i know my gearing/etc..just was not sure on the REAR...mainly IF or how to tell if i have anything "weird" or sumthin..trac loc/towing rear etc...tags say 3.54..so i assume stock..but do u guys run any LSD additives in these? or just plain ol gear oil and shut my face?! :D thanks again guys!! hit me...(gotta say..i am pretty proud that my tranny and quadratrac show NO leaks..yet! and oil pan...just a SMALL drip...the "before" was the puddle style in driveway..but NO more!!:cheers2:

You can run the BoM number on the axle (stamped on the right tube, and found on the tag) through the Dana Expert site and get the original configuration. Go to www.dana.com, and follow the prompts.

While you've got the cover off, examine the are behind the side gears (on the inner ends of the halfshafts,) and any clutch packs or whatever should be fairly obvious - visually - because it won't be a cast surface behind the gear.

However, if you're not sure, you can go ahead and add LSD FM to the oil - if it's not needed, it won't cause you any trouble (I'd mix it in with all my stock - I had two rigs with OEM LSD rear, and three without. Same gear oil in all axles.) Use GL-5 spec oil in the axles - if you have a manual, you're probably going to want GL-3 so you don't dissolve the synchroniser rings (unless you get a "performance synthetic" GL-5 that specifically sez it's "Safe for use with Yellow Metal." If you get performance synthetic gear oil, yellow metal safe, with LSD FM premixed? Go ahead and use it in everything, she'll be right, mate! (LSD FM won't cause any trouble in the transmission - it's the added sulphur-based EP lubes in the mineral-based GL-5 oils that's a problem.)

The time now is 11:22 AM.