Advice on towing please - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-16-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
DuckBox
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Advice on towing please

So I am going to be picking up my (new to me) 1990 Grand Wagoneer this weekend. I don't want to drive it back home because I think the engine is questionable and I don't want to expose it to a 300 mile trip on our first voyage.

So I was thinking about borrowing my old man's 05' Toyota Tundra Stepside Access Cab 4.7 liter V8 and renting a UHaul trailer (4 wheels off the road) and hauling the trailer 300 miles to pick up the wagoneer and drive 300 miles back home. The travel would be mainly flat.

What do you guys think? Should I do it? Any suggestions? Or am I in for some trouble?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-16-2010, 02:51 PM
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

U-haul doesn't even list the tow dolly let alone the flat bed for a Toyota Tundra Access. It's not able to tow them.

So borrowing your dad's truck is out.

I'm not even sure U-haul will let you put a FSJ on a flat bed. I know when I moved here from Minnesota the deciding factor on what to do with my Chevy K1500 was made by U-haul when they told me the flat bed wasn't wide enough.

I would start looking at other options. You might just HAVE to drive it home as I don't think there's going to be a cost effective alternative.

1997 ZJ 5.2 Orvis, Baby!
1953 Willys M100 trailer Tagalong

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-16-2010, 04:13 PM
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Tell them it is a Wrangler or a Jeep Cherokee XJ and they will let you use their trailer. Both of those vehicles are as wide a a Grand Wagoneer so if they will fit, the GW will fit.

The Tundra should tow that just fine, I have used my brothers Tundra for towing and it worked well.

www.bjsoffroad.com

post #4 of 13 Old 03-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

BJ, what I'm saying is that if he pulls up to U-haul with the Tundra, it doesn't matter WHAT vehicle he's towing. The Tundra is not capable (according to U-haul) of pulling either the dolly or the flat bed trailer.

U-haul

Put in the Tundra's info and check it out.

1997 ZJ 5.2 Orvis, Baby!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-16-2010, 04:47 PM
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
BJ, what I'm saying is that if he pulls up to U-haul with the Tundra, it doesn't matter WHAT vehicle he's towing. The Tundra is not capable (according to U-haul) of pulling either the dolly or the flat bed trailer.

U-haul

Put in the Tundra's info and check it out.

I wouldn't trust the uhaul site.

I put a 1996 GMC 1 ton dually which has a tow rating of just a shade over 12000 lbs and it didn't show one either so their site is probably not right.

www.bjsoffroad.com
post #6 of 13 Old 03-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

You're probably right. Pull up and tell them you're hauling home a Geo Metro with a FUBAR rear wheel bearing.

1997 ZJ 5.2 Orvis, Baby!

post #7 of 13 Old 03-16-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
DuckBox
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks fellas. I will go ahead and book it.

I'll keep y'all updated with pics and all, for whoever is next in line for a FSJ purchase.

Y'all rock. I can't wait to jack this puppy up and make for an aggressive yet classic look.

-DuckBox
post #8 of 13 Old 03-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Angry_bald_guy
1985 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
You're probably right. Pull up and tell them you're hauling home a Geo Metro with a FUBAR rear wheel bearing.
This is what I did when I needed to haul my XJ 60 miles down the interstate with my mom's WJ.

Darrel

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of the free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

JFI Member #13

post #9 of 13 Old 03-18-2010, 09:05 AM
GCX2450
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

You shouldn't have any problems. If you're picking up the equipment from a little shop that works with u-haul they won't care what you're towing on it. They do all that stuff online because it's one of those liability issues for u-haul. Just make sure the trailers in good shape and be gentle with accelerrating and braking.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-18-2010, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
DuckBox
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

10-4. I appreciate the advice fellas.

Once I bring home the Wagon, I'll post some pics.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-08-2010, 05:21 PM
MDCPTMAN

Hello All,
Im new to the forum, and this is my 1st post. So, be gentle. I recently had to tow my new-to-me 88 Wag from Keene Tx. to New Orleans La. After reading all the posts above, consulting everyone who seemed the least bit experienced or interested, and much soul searching, I decided to bolt a tow bar on the front of my GW, put the t-case in neutral, and pull it home with my 97 Astro van. It was raining and sleeting a little most of the way. I dont have to tell you that there were some tense moments, since the DW and the Astro weigh about the same. I have decided that I must have a really good guardian angel, because I made it home without incident. I mean like NO PROBLEMS. After I got home I realized all of the many, many things that could have occured, up to and including, loss of life. I dont recommend this method, but it is possible, and it was a great adventure. The main thing I learned was: air up your tires! over inflate the vehicle you are towing so it pulls easier, and make sure the towing vehicle is aired up prperly. I also added about 300# of weight in the back of the Astro to help with weight differential. I didnt go over 60, and I left lots of room in front of me for braking.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Angry_bald_guy
1985 J-Series Truck 

Glad you made it safe, but do me a favor. Next time you need to tow it, get a truck meant for towing to do it with. Please. I would hate to see a GW meet its end over something like that...

Darrel

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of the free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

JFI Member #13

post #13 of 13 Old 04-11-2010, 02:44 PM
MDCPTMAN

LOL, Its all about the Waggie, Huh? I used what I had. If I had waited for another truck, I wouldn't have been able to get the GW. But you are right. It was stupid and reckless, and I dont recommend it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.