91 GW 4wd not engaging - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 91 GW 4wd not engaging

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
cameronplato

91 GW 4wd not engaging

Looking for some guidance on this one. I've got a 91 GW. I recently had the tranny rebuilt and attempted to shift into 4wd only to notice that the typical dash light didn't come on nor could I sense any sign of it engaging. I've verified that the vacuum lines are indeed in good shape and that the actuator is functioning correctly. When I select 4wd I can hear a clicking or ticking with every rotation of the input as well as feel it on the hi lo transfer case lever. Any idea what's going on? Could the transmission shop have mated the tranny and the transfer case up incorrectly?

cameronplato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Did you try putting it into LO?

The 229 cases in these rigs, have a "safety feature" that prevents them from being shifted into LO, unless the case is already in 4wd. So, If it goes into LO, it's jsut a light/wiring issue. If it does not go into LO, then you know that it's not in 4wd, and it's a vacuum/shifting issue.
Unread 10-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
cameronplato

Correct, as in I agree. It willnot go into 4 Low. The vacuum is engaging or attempting to engage something because as soon as I switch it into 4wd I hear the clicking (almost sounds like clutch plates rubbing) and I can feel the clicking in the hi/lo lever. As soon as I switch it back into 2wd the clicking stops.

The clicking is a little more aggressive than a click but not a full on grinding noise.

Is it possible that the vacuum actuator is mid adjusted and that it is almost getting the tcase into 4wd?
Unread 10-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
cameronplato

I adjusted the throw on the mode selector actuator this weekend. No luck. I can hear it engage (clicking starts). But never goes into 4wd
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
cameronplato

Fixed it! It snowed here on TN and the la k I 4wd was enough to get me determined to fix this. Turns out it was mode linkage related. Apparently the ship that rebuilt the transmission reinstalled the tcase with the lever on the mode switch upside down. This threw the alignment on the rod from the actuator off causing the gear to not completely engage. Lesson learned, don't assume anything. If someone has had their hands in there validate that they put it all back together correctly.

Only problem now is that the 4wd indicator light in the dash isn't working. On to that issue next...

Thanks all
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

On my np208 and the np219 the light was controlled by a connector on the transfer case. You might check that they got all of the wires hooked back up.

While you are at it, did the TC case have a breather line? Check that too...

And thumbs up on getting it back into 4wd!
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
cameronplato

Np229 is the same. That is, it has a switch on the bottom. It's connected. I'll check the breather lines. Good call

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.