89 wagoneer transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 89 wagoneer transmission

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
tman2011
1979 CJ5 

89 wagoneer transmission

I just recently aquired a 89 wagoneer. My brother and i were going to take everythin out of the engine compartment and get my 79 cj5 running again but after some looking around we figured it would be easier to replace the tranny in the waggoner than get the cj5 running. Which leads into the purpose of this post my brother and i are looking for a replacement tranny. It has an A727 tranny in it. Now is this a good trannsmission and/or there a differnt type that can be put into it that is of the same or greater quality?

any help is welcome

Unread 01-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
WagoneerCraig
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

From what i have learned is that its tough as nails . But only lacking in that its a 3 speed .
WagoneerCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
tman2011
1979 CJ5 

the previouse owner some how screwed up the tranny though i am waiting to see if a whole new one is needed or just parts
Unread 01-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
tman2011
1979 CJ5 

for $120 i can have the tranny rebuilt, but i am $2000 in debt to my brother and mother. Would it be better to get my 79 cj5 running with the V8 360 and part out the wagoneer, or just rebuild the tranny in the wagoneer and sell the 25 year special silver edition cj5 that has no motor
Unread 01-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Karvin
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

If it is pretty much rust free, and you don't mind a LOT of "waste your time" PM's... parting it out might make you a buck or two.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/ is a site that deals with ONLY full size Jeeps and a lot of people are looking for parts in good condition.

The TF727 is a stout tranny, what you can easily replace it with mostly depends on which transfer case it is setup with. The AMC 360 engine in it can put out a lot of low end torque, but be prepared to spend some $$$$'s building it beyond stock.

TH400 might be the solution to your tranny issue, but like stated above it depends on your transfer case. TH400/D20 combos (especially with a twinstick conversion) are going to be an excellent combo off road.

A little more money to get an operable rig shouldn't be a problem with your mother and brother, you never know just talk to them about the situation and the possibilities.
Karvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
WagoneerCraig
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

I agree with Karvin . Spend the money on the tranny . Get it running . Then concentrate on repaying your family . As far as the CJ ? I would put a car cover on it and just wait . Its not costing u anything . Plus i know that something will come along later when your ready .Then you can have 2 very cool rigs ? And knowing from experiance that engine swaps are not just that easy . I promise you that it will cost you more to put that 360 in a CJ .
WagoneerCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
CSP

You're going to spend a lot more than $120 swappping the GW engine into the CJ. Exhaust alone can run double that amount.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 11:28 PM   #8
GCX2450
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

are you having it rebuilt for $120 or rebuilding it yourself? $120 is a steal if your paying somebody for parts and labor.
GCX2450 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
tman2011
1979 CJ5 

at school i go over to a career center where i work on cars but my instructor said he would fix it for me

Tags
help needed , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.