89 Grand wagoneer engine swap question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 89 Grand wagoneer engine swap question

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 10-02-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
gimme_fuel
2000 TJ Wrangler 

89 Grand wagoneer engine swap question

Does anyone know for sure if a 360ci engine, automatic transmission and transfer case frrom a 1979 dodge truck, will be a direct swap for a 1989 Grand wagoneer with a 360 and auto transmission? Or will there be modification required?

[COLOR="Black"]()_)-()_)-o-)_) [/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Green Jeep Club Member #186[/COLOR]
gimme_fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

They are 2 different 360's

The one in the waggy is a AMC motor

The one in the dodge is a chrysler product.

They used the amc motor up thru 91.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
gimme_fuel
2000 TJ Wrangler 

how much would be required to change the entire driveline? just a round about idea... as far as modification, or would it bolt right in?
Unread 10-02-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Is the Dodge 4x4? If not, then you need another 4x4 727 trans that will fit the Dodge motor (360 Dodge has a special balanced torque converter) or have the Dodge trans rebuilt with the Jeep output shaft in it (parts around here are @$200 including a new converter)
The trans will then bolt up to the Jeep tcase. (I have a Dodge NP208 bolted to my Jeep 727 that's going into my '76 J10 shortbox that will haul my fifth wheel) A Dodge 4x4 727 is already 23 spline unless it's an early model with NP203 or NP205. The Dodge tcase has the front output on the passenger's side. All FSJs after '79 are LH front drop.
You could swap in the Dodge axles with a little work (I wouldn't if it's a unit bearing front though) The front will need crossover steering (you'll need a high steer arm on the apssenger's side knuckle) and it'll give you @7 inches front lift (matching the rear is tougher)

For the motor mounts, you can buy a kit from http://bjsoffroad.com to install Dodge smallblock (not nearly as popular as the big block Dodge). They also have mount kits made up to fit Chev and Ford.
Don't know about the radiator outlets. Are they the same side or not? (don't have any Mopars around anymore. Just 3 Jeep SJ pickups, 2 MJ pickups, 2 '60's IH Travelalls for my buddy BMax, a '71 IH Loadstar 1800 I was going to fix up for hauling, a '79 DJ with Audi 4 cyl/904 auto, my son's '75 DJ he's going to fix up, an '81 Chev C20 with 454/TH400 I bought to haul my fifth wheel temporarily and is now up for $1000 obo, '82 AMC Spirit daily driver and the wife's '01 Legacy)

As for cost, time is the biggest part of it. Another "hidden" cost is the drop in power going to the Mopar small block. The AMC 360 is roughly equal torque wise to a Mopar 383. Not knocking the Mopar, but you may end up regearing lower to allow for the change in the power band.
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
JethroJeep
1965 J-Series Truck 

I installed a Mopar 400 into my J series truck. I had to find two 727 transmissions to make one with the correct bell housing bolt pattern and the correct rear out put to match up to my Dana 20 transfer case. I used one from a dodge 4x4 and the other was from a Scout. It was a fairly straight forward swap for the big items, its the little stuff that screw with your mind and makes you think. Things like power steering pumps and hoses. Are you going to use the one with you chassis that you will have to fab mounts for or the one that would mount on the engine, but the hose ends are not right ?

That is the fun of it !!
JethroJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2008, 07:09 AM   #6
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme_fuel View Post
or would it bolt right in?
No. If you owned a Mustang, would you really go through the trouble of installing a Camaro drivetrain?

You'll probably be better off from both a financial and sanity perspective if you source other AMC replacements or rebuild what you have. People that start large projects like these because they can get another drivetrain cheap or free end up pissing themselves off.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
People that start large projects like these because they can get another drivetrain cheap or free end up pissing themselves off.
I did a GM swap in my Jeep Cherokee and it was extremely easy and didn't piss me off at all.
Unread 10-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ's Off-Road View Post
I did a GM swap in my Jeep Cherokee and it was extremely easy and didn't piss me off at all.
Yeah, it probably would be really easy and not piss you off to sell the guy a bunch of adapters and brackets.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
Unread 10-09-2008, 10:35 PM   #9
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yeah, it probably would be really easy and not piss you off to sell the guy a bunch of adapters and brackets.
That would be nice but I can tell you what I did and made it easy:

Used the original AMC V8 Towers, put a piece of angle on each side (making them longer), drilled and tapped them for a GM mount and the engine bolted right in. I had the AMC TH400 put into a GM case and used the Quadratrac, the crossmember was in the stock spot.

The hardest part was wiring all of the sensors for the gauges but that wasn't difficult at all.

There, it can be done, no getting pissed and nothing to buy...
Unread 10-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ's Off-Road View Post
There, it can be done, no getting pissed and nothing to buy...
Nobody is saying it can't be done.

The issue is whether you really think that the OP has the capability to do that from the wording of his question. My gut reaction is "no" and I think your comment was very misleading, which is not the same as "encouragement". You have experience and you didn't even do it all yourself.

Unread 10-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #11
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Unread 12-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #12
gimme_fuel
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nobody is saying it can't be done.

The issue is whether you really think that the OP has the capability to do that from the wording of his question. My gut reaction is "no" and I think your comment was very misleading, which is not the same as "encouragement". You have experience and you didn't even do it all yourself.
I am a Heavy equipment mechanic and metal fabricator. I have done engine swaps before including a swap from one crane to a completely different make of crane. I am more than capable of the swap. I was just asking for information from someone who may have experience doing a swap like this. Just needed to know if it would be worth while. A simple answer would have been, "it would just be easier to rebuild the engine". There was no need for assumptions, or insults.
Unread 12-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme_fuel View Post
There was no need for assumptions, or insults.
Given the limited information we had about your ability and capability, there wasn't much to do other than make an assumption. For the same reason (lack of info), the comments made were not of an insulting nature. Rather, we have to take into account the possibility that any given member of JF doen't necessarily have the abilities that a lot of other people do. If they don't specifically say they are capable (like you just did), its the "safe" route to take when providing input of a project. That's actually "consideration", not "insult". As for the "simple answer", I did actually suggest that in post #6. Good luck.

Unread 01-10-2009, 12:57 AM   #14
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

BJs does have the bolt in mounts for a Mopar engine swap. If it's already a 4x4 trans on the Dodge motor, and it's 23 spline, it will bolt directly to the NP229 tcase. I have a Dodge NP208 bolted to a 727 that's going into my '76 J10 shortbox with a 304. (It has J20 axles already and I'm making it into a step side 5th wheel hauler)
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.