88 Wagoneer Starting Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 88 Wagoneer Starting Problems

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-09-2001, 08:05 AM   #1
Robert Bouy

88 Wagoneer Starting Problems

Hello,
I have an 88 Wagoneer, 162K miles in great shape, it runs great, it does 4wd great, and it rides great, that is when I can get it started.
The problem is intermittent (getting more frequent though). Sometimes when I start I don't get any fire to the distributor cap (tested with a screwdriver near the frame). So I changed the ignition coil with a new and it started fine for a week, but now we are back to the same old thing. Also, sometimes if I let it sit for a couple of hours after a failed attempt at starting it will start right up with no problem.
From here the only things I know to check/change are the ignition module and the starter switch itself, but I don't know how to actually test those items and they are not covered in my manual (sorry still a budding enthusiast).

So if anyone has any suggestions on troubleshooting the above items, or on any other likely sources of the problem I sould appreciate it.

Robert Bouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2001, 08:46 AM   #2
Robert Bouy

By the way, It is an inline 6cyl.

Also some troubleshooting I've done already (though I am not sure how to interpret the results)

Coming into the ignition control module are two plugs (2 port and a 3 port plug).

the 2 port(connector) plug has only a yellow(y1) wire coming into it and plugs into the center of the ignition control module.

the 3 port plug has 3 wires (yellow(y2), green w/stripe, and black) and plugs into the right side (when viewed from above with the high voltage output pointing away from you).

Anyway, I checked the voltages across these wires with the ignition switch turned on and this is what i found.

y1 - green = 2.5volts (yellow wire on 2port connector)
y1 - black = 3.5volts
y1 - battery(negative) = 3.5volts

y2 - green = 8.0volts (yellow wire on 3port connector)
y2 - black = 11.0volts
y2 - battery(negative) = 11.0volts
Robert Bouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2001, 11:59 PM   #3
Eduardo Villegas

Hi dear friend...I have had a 6 cil. wagoneer and it happened the same trouble. In my case, the trouble was a cable with connects the engine to the chassis, a grownd fat and black wire that is placed near the right piece of rubber that supports the engine.
I hope that this can help...
Unread 12-11-2001, 12:02 AM   #4
Eduardo Villegas

Hi dear friend...I have had a 6 cil. wagoneer and it happened the same trouble. In my case, the trouble was a cable with connects the engine to the chassis, a grownd fat and black wire that is placed near the right piece of rubber that supports the engine.
I hope that this can help...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.