88 Wagoneer Starting Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 88 Wagoneer Starting Problems

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 12-09-2001, 08:05 AM   #1
Robert Bouy

88 Wagoneer Starting Problems

Hello,
I have an 88 Wagoneer, 162K miles in great shape, it runs great, it does 4wd great, and it rides great, that is when I can get it started.
The problem is intermittent (getting more frequent though). Sometimes when I start I don't get any fire to the distributor cap (tested with a screwdriver near the frame). So I changed the ignition coil with a new and it started fine for a week, but now we are back to the same old thing. Also, sometimes if I let it sit for a couple of hours after a failed attempt at starting it will start right up with no problem.
From here the only things I know to check/change are the ignition module and the starter switch itself, but I don't know how to actually test those items and they are not covered in my manual (sorry still a budding enthusiast).

So if anyone has any suggestions on troubleshooting the above items, or on any other likely sources of the problem I sould appreciate it.

Robert Bouy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2001, 08:46 AM   #2
Robert Bouy

By the way, It is an inline 6cyl.

Also some troubleshooting I've done already (though I am not sure how to interpret the results)

Coming into the ignition control module are two plugs (2 port and a 3 port plug).

the 2 port(connector) plug has only a yellow(y1) wire coming into it and plugs into the center of the ignition control module.

the 3 port plug has 3 wires (yellow(y2), green w/stripe, and black) and plugs into the right side (when viewed from above with the high voltage output pointing away from you).

Anyway, I checked the voltages across these wires with the ignition switch turned on and this is what i found.

y1 - green = 2.5volts (yellow wire on 2port connector)
y1 - black = 3.5volts
y1 - battery(negative) = 3.5volts

y2 - green = 8.0volts (yellow wire on 3port connector)
y2 - black = 11.0volts
y2 - battery(negative) = 11.0volts
Robert Bouy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2001, 11:59 PM   #3
Eduardo Villegas

Hi dear friend...I have had a 6 cil. wagoneer and it happened the same trouble. In my case, the trouble was a cable with connects the engine to the chassis, a grownd fat and black wire that is placed near the right piece of rubber that supports the engine.
I hope that this can help...
Unread 12-11-2001, 12:02 AM   #4
Eduardo Villegas

Hi dear friend...I have had a 6 cil. wagoneer and it happened the same trouble. In my case, the trouble was a cable with connects the engine to the chassis, a grownd fat and black wire that is placed near the right piece of rubber that supports the engine.
I hope that this can help...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.