88 Wagoneer Lift input Please! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 88 Wagoneer Lift input Please!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
rikerjoe85
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

88 Wagoneer Lift input Please!

I know its been asked but ive spent about 15 hours in the past 2 days researching it and I still dont know what route to go.

Im wanting a lift on my 88 Wagoneer. keep in mind I only plan to drive it to work ( 2 miles away) and some light trail riding. So as far as a rough ride i dont mind. I just want it lifted up so it dont bottom out on trails (rear bumper) I plan to put mud tires probably 30 10.50 15 I want to lift it as high as i can (4 thru 6 prefer) without paying alot and swapping out alot of parts. Option 1- I almost bought the soa and flip kit off of BJ's but decided not to after it requires a crossover steering kit that cost $500. Do i really need that? and is there anything else ill need to buy if i go that route? Option 2- I almost bought the 6" lift from rustys then they wanted over $300 to ship so i canceled that. Option 3- I was just gonna go with a 2 or 3" body Lift. I know the Cons to it and its a big topic on here. But I cant find one for an 88 wagoneer. they seem to stop at 85. does anybody know why that is and can I use the 85 kit on a 88? also would i have to buy anything else to do that lift i.e. extend my driveshaft or a drop pitman arm? In all it seems like any route i go will cost well over $1000. Which i wouldnt mind if it was a nicer truck but I dont wont to putmore money in lifting it then i paid for the jeep. I also need to get new tires and rims so im a littlehesitate spending alot of money (wife is!) and my wife scares me haha. thanks for any input but i just cant find the answer. Thank you

rikerjoe85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Saul32
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

I'm in the process of installing the 6" Rustys kit now. Just finished the front lift today and it was about 3 hours on that. I should finish the rear tomorrow and rear lift is easier.
I also avoided Rustys because of the shipping price but when I called I got a quote for $150 delivery instead and they were helpful and very nice. Also the ground shipping says 5-7 days and I got mine in 2 days. go for the 4" lift if you want to save cash. Good Luck
Give them a try.
Saul32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Body lift kits here, for your 88:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-544.htm

No pitman arms or extended brakelines are required for a body lift. You could do a body lift now with some 31" tires and down the road take it off and put a 4" suspension on it and it would work fine.
Unread 07-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul32 View Post
I'm in the process of installing the 6" Rustys kit now. Just finished the front lift today and it was about 3 hours on that. I should finish the rear tomorrow and rear lift is easier.
The rear will be more difficult, just so you know... by far...

Then you might have to drop your fuel tank if you break off the castle nut in the frame on the driver side rear spring.

If you went with the block and add-a-leaf lift, it will be easier to install but it will not last, you are putting more arch and more pressure on a 25 year old spring that is worn out. This is the reason we won't even consider selling any lift kit with blocks, it's just a bad idea.
Unread 07-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
rikerjoe85
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks to both of you this helped alot. I might just do the body lift for now and then go the lift route later as I get more into the offroad scene. thanks!
rikerjoe85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
Saul32
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ's Off-Road View Post
The rear will be more difficult, just so you know... by far...

Then you might have to drop your fuel tank if you break off the castle nut in the frame on the driver side rear spring.

If you went with the block and add-a-leaf lift, it will be easier to install but it will not last, you are putting more arch and more pressure on a 25 year old spring that is worn out. This is the reason we won't even consider selling any lift kit with blocks, it's just a bad idea.

I agree with adding blocks to 25 year springs but I ordered the kit w new leaf springs all around. As for the rear install I was told by several people on here that rear installation was way easier than the front and I hope its the case for my FSJ. I just hope that castle nut is nice and stays put.

I do have a question for BJ's Offroad though,
would I be fine with sticking with the stock sway bars after this lift??
Unread 07-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul32 View Post
I agree with adding blocks to 25 year springs but I ordered the kit w new leaf springs all around. As for the rear install I was told by several people on here that rear installation was way easier than the front and I hope its the case for my FSJ. I just hope that castle nut is nice and stays put.

I do have a question for BJ's Offroad though,
would I be fine with sticking with the stock sway bars after this lift??
No, you will need to extend the sway bars by either buying our extended disconnects or you can lengthen your stock end links.

And, you were told wrong, the rear is harder even if the castle nut stays put, just thought I would give you warning. Typically I spend 2x the time on the rear than I do on the front.
Unread 07-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
Saul32
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks. Looks like I'll be having a good time installing that rear today.
Unread 07-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
realmccoy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have installed a 4" lift 12 years ago and just did 6" last month and I would have to say the rear is way easier than the front,
The rear has a lot less to deal with.
Now I was lucky both times and didn't have to remove the tank.

Tags
lift , soa , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.