Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

88 Grand Wagoneer Tailgate

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  gtghm 
#1 ·
I have a problem with the tailgate window on my Grand Wagoneer.
I was able to remove the glass and identify the problem but I'm not sure how or what I need to fix it.

The bar/tray which the glass sits in, that is connected on the end of the 2 scissors, which makes the window go up and down, won't stay connected to the bolt or pin on the end of the scissor arms.

Can some one tell me if that is a bolt a on the end of the arm or some kind of pin or is it a rivet that has to be cut off and replaced with another rivet or bolt? What do I have to do to secure the bar/tray to the scissor assembly?
When I took the tailgate apart I didn't find any nuts or broken pins rattling around in the bottom of the gate... and I didn’t remove any bolts or nuts except for the entry panel.

Thanks for your time,
"g"

#2 ·
the pins would have to be cut.

they're held in the guides by clips that look like washers with 4 fingers sticking in twoards the middle.

another common thing to look out for is that the guides on the rail are bent or mishapen.

check out http://www.ifsja.org they have a couple write ups on troubleshooting problems with the tailgate and how to take it apart.

if you have any other specific questions email me, bobj@bestweb.net

I might be able to anwser, I just recently replace most of the inside of the tailgate on my 89 GW.

#6 ·
Well, I decided to leave them out. looking at an exploded view diagram from Jeep they didn't show any springs at all.
However, upon closer inspection in the tailgate I saw that the posts are in very rough shape. There isn't much of a grove left for the clips to dig into and hold to the post. I had one stay on and one that wouldn't. So I decided to take a gamble that the side that wouldn't stay on was the side that never came off in the first place so I just slid the post back into the slot and buttoned her back up. After running the window up and down about 50 times I felt pretty good that it was going to stay in place. At least if it does come off again I know how to fix it, although I'm not quite sure how to fix it for good. I was thinking of a small cutting wheel that would allow me to re-cut the grove in the post... I think that it woud be pretty tough to manage though... :rolleyes:
Thanks,
"g"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.