88 FSJ GW Heater Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 88 FSJ GW Heater Issue

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
PITA88FSJ
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

88 FSJ GW Heater Issue

Hey all,

I bought my first FSJ yesterday and noticed an issue with my heater. There is no air getting to the cab. I removed the blower motor today and replaced it. Found a tree's worth of pine needles in the unit. Cleaned all of it out. Reinstalled the fan, works great but there is no air getting to the cab still. Got LOTS of air seeping out of the heater box seal around the core. Is there a gate between the firewall that is vacuum activated? What am I missing?

Thanks for the help!

PITA88FSJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

you are correct. under the dash passenger side are the vacuum operated doors. pulls vacuum from your heat switch, which gets it from your vac canister
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
PITA88FSJ
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Cool thanks! I'll check it out tomorrow. I almost tore the core case apart thinking there might have been a debris clog beyond the core in the vent tube. Does the Vac line connect to the control on the dash like in a TJ?
Unread 02-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
PITA88FSJ
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Update: I went through the ol' gal and found the vacuum line was off. I reconnected it hoping that was the issue. Sadly I must report that she won't switch to defrost. Gonna check the vacuum line from the sending unit and make sure she has vac pressure. I noticed that she has a "TAN" circular vacuum device on the left front inner fender, connected to the vac canister. I assume this is for the cruise control. My FSJ has a Carter carb on her and the cruise has been disconnected (speedo cable was replaced with a straight one)
so it is not needed, except that I noticed the vac line from this box goes into the cab. Can this unit be bypassed and the cab vac line connected directly to the vac cannister? or does this unit serve another purpose?

Thanks for the help!
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
PITA88FSJ
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Final UPDATE: I fixed the heater! Got both dash and floor working great. Turns out I over looked a tiny vac line under the hood that attached to the vac "ball" mounted in the center of the firewall, top fitting right side (as your looking at it) works the vac mech for the defrost control. Now on to my electrical and fuel issues!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.