87 Wagoneer help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 87 Wagoneer help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
kchaos

87 Wagoneer help

Hello, everyone! I'm pretty new to the jeepforum, but I've lurked for quite sometime for tips on repairs!

I bought my dream car- 87 Woody (Imelda), almost 3 years ago. She ran for awhile, then threw a rod. She's been sitting for the last 2 years and I'm ready to fix her up, finally! I'm pretty new to working on cars and have only ever worked on my 96 Grand Cherokee. I have 3 questions:

1) Aside from the engine, what are the first things that I need to look at/repair in order to get her road ready?

2) Believe me when I say that I do realize how ridiculous this question is. I'm not expecting to get 89 miles to the gallon, but she currently has an original AMC 360 and I hate to lose that, but I was lucky to get 8 miles to the gallon before she died. What is the best city driving gas mileage I can expect to get out of her without converting to fuel injection? What can I do to improve gas mileage?

3) I'd like to install 3rd row seating, and I'm torn between jump seats (to keep some of the cargo space) and a full 3rd row, can I get some opinions on that?

Thanks!

kchaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

1. brakes. If it has been sitting for a couple of years the brakes need to be looked at. Also, transmission/fluid. The 727 can sit a while without issues but once you get the new motor past it's original break in and you are ready for a test drive, put the transmission in "N" for a bit before moving. The 727 doesn't pump oil into the transmission circuits when in park. How did the tranmission work before? Flush the cooling system. If the anti-freeze still looks good a drain and flush should be fine. If not, you might want to get the radiator checked out.

2. With stock gears/tires the average is around 11 to 13 mpg. Driving habits are important. Good tuneup a must. You won't get a lot better gas milage with fuel injection. You are fighting three things: Weight, aerodynamics, no overdrive. There are guys who claim 15mpg and with a light foot this might be doable or keeping it 55 and under on the highway.

3. no thoughts on this. I pulled out my back seat since I drive a 2 door cherokee. I have seen 3rd row seats done. Since the back is 'flat' there isn't a drop for your legs but for the little ones it might work. Making it safe will be important. Mounting of the seat and seat belts are key.

I am happy you are getting back into it! They are great trucks to improve your mechanical skills on.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
kchaos

Hey, thanks a lot! This is really helpful.

The transmission was good before, but if I remember right, the 4 wheel drive was stuck on or off. I can't remember...

I've thought about a 318, but I'm worried that because of the reasons you mentioned, that it might make mileage worse. And, I really love the 360. Its as woody as the wood grain. Any thoughts there? She needs new tires, no doubt. How much do the type of tires effect the gas mileage?
kchaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

A 318 won't work . Assuming your truck still has the stock motor it is an AMC 360 and does not share the same bell housing pattern as a Dodge, Crystler, Ford or any other 360. The TF727 is a Mopar but it has the AMC bolt pattern. Most of the internals are the same.

For the money spent, you won't save much in gas by going with a smaller engine. Especially if you press on the gas harder to get going...

Your options are AMC 304/360/401 for 'bolt in'. You could go with the AMC straight 6. It was an option on the waggy's for some years. But the cost/pain won't save you enough in gas.

Stock your waggy came with a 360. The 304/401 was not an option that year. I don't recall if they were putting the 6cyl in that late in the run or not.

Tires can make a difference. Rolling resistence and size. The larger (taller) the tire the less rpm's for a given speed but it takes 'more' effort to get moving so you would tend to press on the gas harder.

Where you will get the most bang for the buck is in having it tuned for milage. Proper timing, carb settings. All of the components working correctly (egr, ignition, pcv, etc).

And driving habits. Speed kills milage, especially on these rigs. I take an annual 500 mile (one way) trip in the jeep. One year I followed a buddy who was towing a trailer and if he went over 47 mph it would sway. So we drove no faster than 47 the entire way home. My milage was much much better than when I do it at 65 to 75. I would say at least a 25% improvement.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.