JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Full Size Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/)
-   -   87 wagoneer engine question (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/87-wagoneer-engine-question-1480445/)

ayycharlay92 02-17-2013 05:59 PM

87 wagoneer engine question

I have an 87 wagoneer I just purchased today, got it for a good deal but it has its perks to it, the engine runs strong and the car is a tank, got to put it to use and actually pull out my cousins built up grand Cherokee with it, but anyway, I have a few questions,
First, when the engine is cold, there's been a few times where the starter just spins, it doesn't crank the engine, then I turn the key a few more times and boom, it starts, so what could the issue there be ? Do I need a new starter ? Because it sounds to me like the starter works its just not catching.

Question two
When I was pulling out my cousin, when I was sitting at a stand still than I floored it to jerk him out, as soon as I floored it, the engine shut off on me, now this was the second time it happened to me, the first time was when I tried to get it to spin wheels, held my foot on the brake, than slammed the pedal to the floor and it shut off. But it started right back up. So could someone please explain what I can look at or clean or change to get it to not do that ? Seems to me like something with the carb but I don't know much about engines so I'm not too sure, also it's the AMC 360 V8

olliehopnoodle 02-17-2013 08:33 PM

Welcome to fsj owership. The starter spining is either the the starter gear worn or some flat spots on the flywheel. If it seems to happen 'a lot' then chances are it is the starter. Cheap and easy to replace. Keep the other one for a spare. (secure it if you keep it in the truck)

The other question. Carb'd trucks don't act the same as newer trucks. You can get them to but it takes some fiddlings. Rahter than 'floor it' you might try to increase the power a little more evenly. See how that works for ya.

jeepdj5 02-17-2013 10:50 PM

He knows his stuff!

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum

Dave145 02-18-2013 02:37 AM

Yeah my engine cuts out if I floor it too quickly too. I think its just a normal thing for a vehicle with a Carb.

ayycharlay92 02-18-2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle (Post 14986406)
Welcome to fsj owership. The starter spining is either the the starter gear worn or some flat spots on the flywheel. If it seems to happen 'a lot' then chances are it is the starter. Cheap and easy to replace. Keep the other one for a spare. (secure it if you keep it in the truck)

The other question. Carb'd trucks don't act the same as newer trucks. You can get them to but it takes some fiddlings. Rahter than 'floor it' you might try to increase the power a little more evenly. See how that works for ya.

Thanks man, I can already feel the connection with my FSJ I love it lol, but I've had the car 24 hours and it did it the first time it was started, than again when I got it home, than one more time after it shut off on me when I was pulling my cousin out. So maybe it is my starter, I'll look into changing that. Thanks a lot, I'll be asking a lot of questions haha this car is going to be an awesome project

jeepdj5 02-18-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayycharlay92

Thanks man, I can already feel the connection with my FSJ I love it lol, but I've had the car 24 hours and it did it the first time it was started, than again when I got it home, than one more time after it shut off on me when I was pulling my cousin out. So maybe it is my starter, I'll look into changing that. Thanks a lot, I'll be asking a lot of questions haha this car is going to be an awesome project

Hate to break it to you but it an't no wimpy car, IT'S A JEEP! :)

J E E P Just Empty Every Pocket

ayycharlay92 02-20-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle (Post 14986406)

Okay, I replaced the starter the day before yesterday because I tried to start it in the morning and it wouldn't start at all, so after replacing it, it started up and ran great all day, it sat for a day, than this morning I went to start it and it did the same thing as before I changed it out, so what should I check next ?

olliehopnoodle 02-20-2013 02:34 PM

Flat spots on the fly wheel or a loose flywheel (less likely).

Remove the starter.
Inspect flywheel. How do the gears look? Are they in good shape? Are some missing? DO you have spots where they are missing?
Remove the spark plugs (or most of them, the #8 is a pain)
Using a breaker bar turn the engine over by hand at the crank pully. (Nice if someone will do it for you). Continue inspecting the flywheel. Take some pics if you want.
Push against the flywheel with your fingers. Does it feel loose? It shouldn't.

It's possible your cable is going bad and you don't have enough umph to get the bendix to move but also unlikely. Also possible you got a 'bad' starter. Did you have them test it for you? How did the gears on the old starter look?

So you go to start it. You hear the starter 'whrrrr' but the engine doesn't turn over, right? And eventually, after a couple of tries, it works, right?

jeepdj5 02-20-2013 03:22 PM

Look for missing teeth on the flywheel! When it won't crank but the starter is going pop the hood and with the key OFF turn the motor by hand ( sometimes you can grab a belt and turn it a bit but you might need a socket and a breaker bar on the balencer bolt ) and then see if it grabs! There is probably a spot on the flywheel that's missing teeth and when you shut it off sometimes it stopes there and the starter won't grab anything, it will crank if the starter can grab, the engine will cost across the missing teeth spot and it will keep cranking

ayycharlay92 02-20-2013 05:33 PM

I think I found my issue with it, it has something to do with the auto choke, I had to actually hold it down to get it to start when it's cold.

The time now is 08:30 AM.