87 grand wagoneer transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 87 grand wagoneer transmission

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
ayycharlay92
2001 WJ 

87 grand wagoneer transmission

I need help finding a used transmission for a 1987 jeep grand wagoneer, can anyone help?

ayycharlay92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
ayycharlay92
2001 WJ 

http://www.autopartsfair.com/jeep-us...theautochannel

Has anyone ever heard of this company ?
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Is rebuilding the current one out of the question?
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
ayycharlay92
2001 WJ 

Idk anywhere around my area that could be trusted. And the one place I called by the time I get it rebuilt its only a few hundred cheaper than getting a brand new one
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

There is no such thing as a brand new one.

What is the issue?
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
ayycharlay92
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle View Post
There is no such thing as a brand new one.

What is the issue?

Well not brand new, but a Jasper's, but my mechanic said I burnt up my trans, it slips really bad while driving, I found a trans with 75,000 miles on it for $525 and it has a 30 day warranty. Is that a good deal?
Unread 03-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

a few things,

How trustworthy is your mechanic?

can you give a little more detail about "slips really bad while driving" These transmissions are only 3 speeds, and most do not have a locking torque converter, so your highway rpm is going to be higher than any newer vehicle. just saying it slips could mean anything from loose or worn bands, bad torque converter, to something as simple as low on fluid.

this is just my opinion, but these are prety simple transmissions, and if you are even slightly mechanically inclined, are easy to rebuild.
Unread 03-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
ayycharlay92
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy93
a few things,

How trustworthy is your mechanic?

can you give a little more detail about "slips really bad while driving" These transmissions are only 3 speeds, and most do not have a locking torque converter, so your highway rpm is going to be higher than any newer vehicle. just saying it slips could mean anything from loose or worn bands, bad torque converter, to something as simple as low on fluid.

this is just my opinion, but these are prety simple transmissions, and if you are even slightly mechanically inclined, are easy to rebuild.
He is pretty trust worthy, been using him for a year, he hasn't charged me and I've seen him like 6 times I'm the past few months with random problems with my Grand, and than had the wagon there, he told me I could drive it around for a little while but it would eventually mess up, he said I burnt it up bc I drove without trans fluid I thought I was leaking oil but it was trans fluid, he also said my trans fluid smelled funny and had pieces of metal in it. when I drive it, it will like shimmy weird and it sometime swing shift until I get into it really hard than it will slam into gear, when I go in reverse it won't shift until after I start touching the gas and it slams in, but I'm pulling the trans and putting a used one i found with good miles on it at the end of the month.
Unread 03-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
timgr
1975 CJ6 

It can be very expensive to own these cars (actually any old car) if you can't do your own work.

You can save a lot of money by removing and replacing the transmission yourself. You could look for a complete used transmission through somewhere like car-part.com - I found dozens of these transmissions within driving distance.

Did your mechanic suggest that he install a used transmission?
1) '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps. 2) '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, KOs, 7600 GVWR 3) '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top 4) '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
ayycharlay92
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgr
It can be very expensive to own these cars (actually any old car) if you can't do your own work.

You can save a lot of money by removing and replacing the transmission yourself. You could look for a complete used transmission through somewhere like car-part.com - I found dozens of these transmissions within driving distance.

Did your mechanic suggest that he install a used transmission?
He told me that he could do it for me but he said honestly it wouldn't be worth the money to do it and if I had any buddies who knew what they were doing to see if I could have them help me do it, he said it would cost a good bit to do everything for me, and he said I should add an after market transmission cooler for it. But I found this site called trannysandmotors.com and they have some good deals and a 30 day warranty
Unread 03-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
ayycharlay92
2001 WJ 

So I found a trans with 101000 on it and it was tested, but it's been on the shelf for four years at the place where they have it, would it sitting for that long be an issue and make me have problems ?
Unread 03-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
CSP

As long as it's been sitting indoors it should be fine.

Just to answer your earlier question, no these are not made new any longer. Haven't been made new for years and years now.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.