JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Full Size Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/)
-   -   87 grand wagoneer new fluids (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/87-grand-wagoneer-new-fluids-1542064/)

Nelson88 06-27-2013 12:08 PM

87 grand wagoneer new fluids

Hey, I just bought an 87 grand wagoneer this week, and one of the first things I want to do is change the fluids. I've read good things about using Shell Rotella 15W-40 with a Wix filter for the engine. I'm looking to also change the transmission fluid (and filter), transfer case and differentials and was wondering what to use.. It has a 360 with the 727 tranny, I'm not sure about the transfer case and I'm pretty sure it's Dana 44's front an rear. Thanks for any help.

olliehopnoodle 06-27-2013 05:32 PM

Congradulations on the purchase!
It is a dana 44 front and rear. There is a 'slim' chance you have a traction loc rear end. It will want special fluid (although the clutches are probably warn out either way). You can check the tag and/or often times there was a warning sticker in the glove box.

Do you have full time or part time 4wd? I think what you use for it will matter (you either have an np208 or np229)

I don't have an opinion on transmission fluid. I always get confused because the original stuff isn't available. I have a note written down in my booklet, I will take a look when I get home.

I run valvoline vr racing oil only because it has a higher zddp content which is good for the flat tappet cams we run.

super98lsc 06-28-2013 12:44 PM

x2... also the rear diff should have the axle ratio tag and another tag with the fluid spec for the traction-loc if equipped. My 90 w HD Tow package has the 3:31 trac-loc. I ran Royal Purple Synthetic in it.

Nelson88 06-29-2013 03:57 PM

It has part time 4WD, with the selector for 2WD or 4WD and the hi an low lever on the drivers floorboard, which I thinks cool lol. Thanks for the help, I can't wait to start tinkering on it.

StayClassy 07-03-2013 06:00 AM

Any other Grand Waggy owner been using Shell Rotella in their 360? Curious if the heavier viscosity has made a noticeable difference.

super98lsc 07-03-2013 09:17 PM

Valvoline racing, only parts store oil with enough zinc the deisel oils do not have enough in them any more. Brad Penn racing, or Joe Gibbs oils.are the other two I use in my flat tappet engines.

lucdog 07-03-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by super98lsc
Valvoline racing, only parts store oil with enough zinc the deisel oils do not have enough in them any more. Brad Penn racing, or Joe Gibbs oils.are the other two I use in my flat tappet engines.

This^^*

B

Nelson88 07-09-2013 10:00 AM

I don't want to open a can of worms saying this but from what I've researched most people say to use Shell Rotella 15W-40, but there's also people that say to use Valvoline racing (no specific weight) because of the higher zinc content. I bought 5 quarts of the shell and my buddy who has a diesel got pretty concerned when I showed him. I'mwondering which one to use before I give my jeep a drink.

super98lsc 07-10-2013 08:32 AM

Don't run the diesel stuff it does not have enough zinc. Any cam manufacturer or builder will vouch for me on this one. I use the Valvoline and spike it with additive.

StayClassy 07-10-2013 06:09 PM

After reading more into this ZDDP issue, it looks like there are a handful of motor oil manufactures that make oil specifically for flat tappet cams, as Super98 stated above. And there are a ton of threads all over the Internet in various automotive forums discussing this issue. There's a really great thread on a Corvette forum that's worth searching out. I'm too lazy to attach the link.

I just filled my 360 with Valvoline VR1 10W-30 this past weekend. Thanks for the recommendation Super98.

The time now is 04:53 AM.