86' GW will not start. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 86' GW will not start.

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-30-2013, 02:53 AM   #1
BurtJ
1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

86' GW will not start.

Hi everyone, Im new here and as it seems with all new people on this site, I have a dilemma. My 86' GW (360 5.9L) wont start. I get power to the instrument panel and lights but it wont turn over. Initially, I thought it was the solenoid, so I replaced it. Still nothing. My starter is new but I pulled it out anyway and took it to the shop and had it checked. Still good. I thought it had to be the ignition switch so i replaced that also. Still didn't work. Bad connection , I thought to myself, so I replaced the positive cables from the battery to the solenoid and solenoid to the starter. I also replaced the ground cable. Still no luck. I don't know where to go from here.

A couple weeks back my starter went on the fritz and was turning over without the key in the ignition. It eventually stopped but my battery cables would get hot if i hooked them up. I replaced the starter and solenoid with that and it was fine. Now Im thinking something else got cooked from the excessive amperage in the system.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? I already thought about increasing my insurance and driving it off a cliff but, Im saving it till everything else fails.

BurtJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Fusable links from the solenoid. I had one burn as I was under the hood, irrc it was the throttle solenoid, and it had power to the dash lights but that was it.
Neutral safety switch could be the culprit.
Did you replace the ignition switch, or the tumbler assembly.
Have you tried to jump the starter?
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
BurtJ
1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

Jumped across the solenoid and starter rotates. Tried to jump through solenoid and nothing.
I replaced the ignition switch, I haven't touched the tumbler assembly.
BurtJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #4
JH5150

jeep no crank

I'm having the same problem I have replaced my solenoid the starter and the ignition switch and ignition module. At first it had a draw found the solenoid was bad changed it started not to shut off again pulled coil wire off to kill it to never restart. pulled starter found nose bushing bad and bearing no good on bench test. replaced ignition switch because it wouldn't shut off. The battery is new and cables as well grounds looks to be in place. I check the fusible links all have power the coil gets hot and dist. rattles. Acts like a bad battery but everything else works. Any help would be great thanks in advance.
JH5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH5150 View Post
I'm having the same problem I have replaced my solenoid the starter and the ignition switch and ignition module. At first it had a draw found the solenoid was bad changed it started not to shut off again pulled coil wire off to kill it to never restart. pulled starter found nose bushing bad and bearing no good on bench test. replaced ignition switch because it wouldn't shut off. The battery is new and cables as well grounds looks to be in place. I check the fusible links all have power the coil gets hot and dist. rattles. Acts like a bad battery but everything else works. Any help would be great thanks in advance.
Did the run-on start after the ignition module change? Are you drawing power with everything off? The visible links should be physically firm and stiff all the way to the common wire connection.
Coil gets hot, and dizzy rattles? More detail please.
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
JH5150

No it did not start or even turn over I have power out all fusible links and everything else seems to working. The dist. rattle started after I pulled the coil wire out of the coil to kill the jeep. I notice coil being hot when I tested for power it has 12v if I pull the wires off the coil the rattle in the dist. stops. I don't understand it not cranking over at all act as if the battery is dead. The ground cable goes to the front of the a/c bracket that bolts right in the head and ties off to the fender and the block ground goes the frame at the motor mount. the positive goes from the battery to the solenoid where the fusible links hook up and you got two green wires that hook up on the threaded studs and one that hooks on the back that slips on. I will have to check the firmness of the links like you said. thank you hope this was the info you needed.
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH5150 View Post
No it did not start or even turn over I have power out all fusible links and everything else seems to working. The dist. rattle started after I pulled the coil wire out of the coil to kill the jeep. I notice coil being hot when I tested for power it has 12v if I pull the wires off the coil the rattle in the dist. stops. I don't understand it not cranking over at all act as if the battery is dead. The ground cable goes to the front of the a/c bracket that bolts right in the head and ties off to the fender and the block ground goes the frame at the motor mount. the positive goes from the battery to the solenoid where the fusible links hook up and you got two green wires that hook up on the threaded studs and one that hooks on the back that slips on. I will have to check the firmness of the links like you said. thank you hope this was the info you needed.
Neutral Safety switch? Still not sure about the rattle, everything visually correct in the dizzy? Also what year and engine?
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
JH5150

the rattle in the dist. I think is the magnetic pick up. It is a 1986 grand wagoner with 5.9l. I didn't see a neutral safety switch on the trans is on the column?
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Should be a four wire harness coming off the trans
Unread 04-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
JH5150

found it and it tested good so starting over the new starter turned out to be bad out of the box will put in tonight stay tuned lol
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
mpatch
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Can anybody give me detail instructions on how to find the neutral safety switch? New to engines. Thanks.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.