86 grand questions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 86 grand questions?

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 02-29-2004, 09:57 PM   #1
Lavacrawler

86 grand questions?

I've found an 86 grand wagoneer for sale, the guy said everything went well, just the engine is bad.
He wants $500.00 firm.(Is this a good deal?)
What things should I look for and pay particular attention to when I inspect it?
Also, what axles, gears, transmission & transfer case would it have?
Thanks
-lavacrawler-

[B][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.snakeriveroffroaders.com"]www.snakeriveroffroaders.com[/URL][/COLOR][/B]

Last edited by Lavacrawler; 02-29-2004 at 10:00 PM..
Lavacrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2004, 09:22 AM   #2
RMeak
1955 CJ5 

I just got rid of a '87 grand waggy(not my choice...wife wanted another soft top Jeep) and it had a AMC 360 cid, torque flight 727 tranny and a np229 transfer case and the best thing was dana 44's front and rear. Look for rust around the body mounts I believe there are 12 and look for rust on the gas skid...just under the rear drivers passenger door. With the engine blown you can look at spending around 1500 for a rebuild or I have seen rebuild master kits for around 850 bucks. When we bought ours I was looking for a clean body and interior and really did not care how it ran...but after a year the reliablity became an issue and hence the new TJ in its spot. The FSJ are great rigs with a ton of potential...big hp and torque and a heavy duty stock drivetrain what more can you ask for. Note some of the earlier and I am note sure about '86 came with a AMC20 rear end...don't woory this is a one piece axle not the two piercer found in the CJ's it can still handle big tires. I hope this helps.
Unread 03-16-2004, 01:31 PM   #3
freddytran

AMC 360, TF 727, NP229 or NP208.

$500 isn't too bad as long as everything else is in good shape (body, axles, tranny, transfer case, and no rust). Check the gas tank plate. Check the rails. Rebuild will run you about $1500 or so. HTH
[url=http://www.joshuas-tree.com/boudreaux.html]89 GW Boudreaux[/url]
freddytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2004, 04:45 AM   #4
ravenwolfmd

The Grand Wagoneer is a great vehicle. I own a '85 and even when it was stock I could go places others could not.
The AMC 360 is a strong engine, might be worth your while to try and re-build it. I had to replace mine because it blew 2 pistons off the back. Total cost to get it back on the road was ~$3,000. I replaced alot of components on it while I was at it though. The block cost me $1,800.
As far as the body is concerned, open the hood and check behind the wheels, infront of the firewall. This is a great place to pack in mud and it never comes out. If it still has the roof rack, make sure it is sealed. Check for leaks on the headliner. Should look like it is sagging, water marks, soft to the touch, exc. The problem is if the roof leaks, it will soak the carpet and then rust out the floor boards. Make sure you fold the rear seat forward and look under it. Rust spot.
Other problems that I have had:
Seat belts, wont retract- Soluton: Replace with manual
Window falls of the track- need new worm gear.
Rear Window won't go up or down- Replaced safety switch.
Wanted it bigger- The only company that I could find that would offer a lift was BDS. They gave me a 4" and I can fit 33X9.5. Anything bigger than that and it gets hung up on your fenders.

Parts and Supplies- Some parts are easy to find, others you have to go to the dealer. This is a website of someone that can mail out some FSJ parts. http://www.oly4x4.com/

By the way, It is verry dificult to rebuild a FSJ overseas, as a result of poor Italian driving.

4 Jeeps, '90 YJ, '85 Grand Wagoneer, 2-'72 Wagoneers.
'90 YJ- 3.5 rough country suspension lift, 2" body lift, Euro Guards, Front grill guard, Nerf Bars, Tube Bumper, 32X11.50 Wrangler MTR's, Hard Top, Soft Top, Bikini Top, European Air Horns, CB,PA.....Extras.

'75 J-10 Pickup, 4" suspension lift, 33X12.50 micki thompson baja claws on new polished aluminum rims,
new engine. More plans.

2-'72 Wagoneers- 1 = parts, 1= plans.
Jeep= Just Empty Every Pocket
ravenwolfmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.