85 Grand Wagoneer no power - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 85 Grand Wagoneer no power

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #16
whitey659826
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

With the key out no lights or interior lights.

Transmission is not in the truck almost done rebuilding it. I am not looking to start it I just want to see what is working electrically and whats not.

I do not have a multimeter but it definitely looks like it's time to get one.

whitey659826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #17
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Okay, with the key out the lights and interior lights should work. How much do you know about electricity (DC). Not being a jerk, just need to know how basic we need to go. No one and I mean NO ONE was born with this knowledge. I am, by no means, an 'expert' but I have have shade tree skills.

Does ANYTHING appear to work? Radio, seats, windows, flashers, windshield wipers or ??

Get a multimeter. First thing. Set it to 'dc' and test the battery. SHould show somewhere between 11 and 12 volts.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #18
whitey659826
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Grabbed a multimeter 12v at the battery, 12v at the start sol, and 12v just past the fusable link.

I have a decent working knowledge of DC current, just not much around troubleshooting phantom issues

Nothing works except for the seat belt light on the dash when the lights are on with the key out of the ignition.

And thanks for your help!
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #19
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Ok cool.
Test from the positive battery post to body ground.
Also, try a few of the fuse locations and see if you have power to any of them. (positive to both sides of the fuse, neg on a body ground) Make sure it is a good body ground and make sure you did the first test, confirming the body is attached to ground (negative)
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #20
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

her's what my 87 was doing, and I think it sounds like what you are experiencing.
With the key out, the lights would wrok, but were just slightly dim. when I put the key in, the seatbelt buzzer would buzz and the light would come on. As soon as I turned the key to the start position, everything would go dead. And I mean everything, lights, buzzers, radio, everything. It was like the battery had been disconnected. I started at the posative side of the battery and worked my way down to the starter. Everything "tested" fine (I got 12 V when checked with MM) but it still continued to go dead when I tried to start it. So, I went ahead and replaced the posative cables all the way down to the starter, as well as the solenoid. Still, I had no power.

I had checked the negative/ground cable and it "looked" fine, so I didn't bother replacing it. It turned out that my negative cable had developed a small crack in the insulation in the middle. The wire had started to corrode where the insulation was cracked, and was almost compleatly broken in half. The only thing holding it together was the insulation, and with the corrosion, it was just making enough contact to give me a "false posative" test with the MM. The mostly broken wire was not able to cary the amp draw of anything more than a light or two.

So, take some jumper cables, connect one black end to the negative post on the battery. And connect the other black end to the engine(right on top of the origional ground wire will work as long as you can get a good conection). See if this changes anything.
Unread 03-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #21
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

muddy83 just provided excellent advice.
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #22
whitey659826
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

I tried the jumper cable thing last night to no avail. Same problem still, is there a main fuse other than the fusable link somewhere that could cause this?
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #23
Dave145
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

Check your main bulkhead...water gets in them and rots them out...
Dave145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #24
whitey659826
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

It looks pretty good, but I noticed a black wire coming out of the main harness and it seems to be cut. Is that a ground coming from the fuse box?
Unread 03-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #25
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

I don't think the fuse box normally has a ground.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.