84 Grand Wagoneer Engine Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 84 Grand Wagoneer Engine Replacement

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 06-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
Quantumspores

84 Grand Wagoneer Engine Replacement

Well, its a sad day in JeepLand - my 84 Grand Wagoneer has a blown engine. What are the available options for a "better than stock" engine that will directly bolt onto the existing tranny and use the same engine mounts? Anyone have any good experiences with rebuilt-engine companies or aftermarket crate engines?

If I cannot find a good direct-fit engine I will probably go the route of the small-block 350 but that requires new mounts and several other modifications.

Thanks!

Quantumspores is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Well depends on your wallet etc. If the 360 v8 can be rebuilt it will be your most simple option for certain. Avoiding the cost of adapters/exhaust/mounts etc. I will say that if you can find an entire GM LS 5.3 drive line complete and have the time/cash to do the swap it will be very clean provide more power than the stock 360 and obtain much better mileage.

The 360 .030 over with new pistons, bearings etc will set you back at least 500-800 in machine work and then cost on parts/pistons and a crank if yours is not able to be salvaged. If a good running 401 can be sourced it would bolt right in, then you can rebuild it later when needed. The AMC will want a new timing cover/oil pump, cam,lifters and a valve job etc. For added performance and power I would step up the cam quite a bit from factory then add a 4 barrel intake and a properly tuned 4 barrel. The smaller primaries on a 4v carb will allow for better low speed TQ and mileage but provide the added umph when you want / need it.

Chevy 350 pretty hard to beat on price/parts. You might consider a 383 stroker if you go that route.
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Quantumspores

The only reason I'm considering the 350 small block is because I have one I've been rebuilding for another project. It's tempting to use it because I already have it, but the adapter/etc are expensive.

It would be soooo much simpler to just find a 'direct replacement' that doesn't require modifications. Precision engine makes a nice 300-350hp build that is a direct fit but they want $3k + core. I'd like to keep the price to $1500 or less.
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Not much will bolt right in. The AMC engines have a unique bell housing pattern. There is simply no way you could do a swap for $1500 or less.

What's wrong with the 84 engine? When you say it is 'blown' what do you mean?

I picked up a rebuilt 401 (with receipts) for 2300 but it was luck. A 401 is 'mostly' bolt in. Some of the accessory bolt sizes can be different, same with the exhaust bolts. The oil pan from your 360 might need to be used to clear exhaust but, yes, it is mostly bolt in. No adapters or big surprises.

Unless you are a killer fabricator you won't get an engine swap in cheap. Engine mounts, adapters or tranny mounts, TC and maybe drive shafts. Radiators can be differet. Exhaust will have to be done. Linkage for it all. Lots of little things really add up quick.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #5
Quantumspores

Best guess right now is a busted rod. I haven't taken the engine out yet. I'm also considering just doing a higher performance rebuild of the exiting engine is the block and head are okay.
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

I would plan on 2k for an entire low mileage ls 5.3 w tcase etc. then another 1500+ for small stuff, adapters, linkages, exhaust, fuel pump, tank etc. i'm on the fence also and my 360 runs good just want to refresh it.
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
Quantumspores

precisionengine.com has a nice high performance rebuild (300-350HP) for around 3K - direct fit. By the time you get the accessories (intake manifold, carb, oil pan, etc) and have everything shipped it will be closer to $4K.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
360 AMC block bored, honed, decked and align honed
Performance camshaft:
o 204/214 @ .050
o .472lift
o 110 lobe center
New performance cam bearings
Balanced rotating assembly with balancer (add $400.00)
o Reground 3.44” stroke crankshaft
o Resized rods with ARP rod bolts
o New performance bearings
Performance pistons with Molly rings
o 9 to 1 compression ratio
New performance timing set
New oil pump kit
Cylinder heads include:
o 2.02”/1.68” stainless steel valves
o Matching valve springs
o New head bolts
o 3 angle seats
o bronze guides
o positive seals
o Bowl porting
o stage 2 porting (add 695.00)
New push rods, rocker stands and stamped rockers
New performance gasket set
Paint black or AMC blue

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
Quantumspores

Anyone know a good place to get a 401 longblock at a reasonable price?
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
CSP

If you were closer I'd sell you a running 401 with less than 5k on the rebuild for $1k. I won't ship it though.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

CSP,
Where are you located and why are you selling?
Caesar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.