84 Grand Wagoneer 4x4 not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 84 Grand Wagoneer 4x4 not working

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
ninaskillingme
1984 FSJ Wagoneer 

84 Grand Wagoneer 4x4 not working

First things first, I would like to appologize for my lack of knowledge. I am new to this forum so please be gentle.
I've had this Wagoneer for 3 years now, and have been working towards getting it fully roadworthy and dependable. Just had the top end of the engine rebuilt, and numerous other replacement parts. I have never owned or used a 4x4 before this one. I was told when I purchased it that the four wheel drive needed vacuum lines to work. The Vacuum lines for the transfer case are completely missing.
My question is, if I have no intent on using four wheel drive and there is no possibility of engaging it...should I be expecting any headaches in the future rendering my wagoneer inoperable?
If I do replace the Vacuum lines, and there is a problem....then what?

I love my jeep, but I'm running out of money and patience. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ninaskillingme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
lindel
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The basic result of the vacuum lines missing will be that you have a 2wd Jeep. If you ever decide to make 4wd functional, you'll have to make sure that the vacuum lines to the front axle and the transfer case are intact and in good shape. The 84 and 85 Wagoneers have a front axle with a vacuum disconnect. You won't be able to select 4wd if the front axle vacuum actuator isn't working.
lindel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
ninaskillingme
1984 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks Lindel, That is what I was thinking & hoping to hear!
Unread 10-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #4
lindel
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You'll just need to make sure that there aren't any stray vacuum leaks due to open ports or lines. In fact, it would probably be a good idea to check all the vacuum lines on it to begin with.

Good luck with it, if you need more help, just ask.
Unread 10-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
CSP

Not all 84s and 85 have a vacuum disconnect front axle. It depends on what transfer case the particular Waggie has in it that determines what front axle it has.

Some '83s also have the vac disco front axle.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
lindel
1999 TJ Wrangler 

True, but the majority of the Wagoneers/Grand Wagoneers have got the NP229/NP228.

83 doesn't surprise me in the least, given AMC's habit of grabbing whatever happened to be on the shelf...I've seen 78s with the later door latches and 79s with the old latches. I had 2 79s, one with old and the other with the new.
Unread 10-21-2014, 10:42 PM   #7
NOPA318
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindel View Post
True, but the majority of the Wagoneers/Grand Wagoneers have got the NP229/NP228.

83 doesn't surprise me in the least, given AMC's habit of grabbing whatever happened to be on the shelf...I've seen 78s with the later door latches and 79s with the old latches. I had 2 79s, one with old and the other with the new.
That ain't no joke. Remember DonS Wag? It came from the factory with a bigger engine than a 401. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was proof that AMC didn't have their poop in one sock.

To the OP, there ain't no shame in a 2wd G-wag. (watch!VVVV)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIWvlz9G_go
NOPA318 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2014, 06:40 AM   #8
lindel
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I remember Don's Waggie very well, saw it in person several times. It's living in Oklahoma with another mothership member.

Loved the stories about ghimni Jeep.
Unread 10-22-2014, 07:33 AM   #9
ninaskillingme
1984 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks again guys, I am going to get up underneath and check it all out this weekend.
Thanks for the Video Nopa318.
Is there a model number on the transfer case that I should look for?
If so, where should I look?
She's not my Daily Driver. But I Drive her whenever possible. My main goal is to make sure it is mechanically safe, and dependable....I don't like surprises, and I've had more than a few of those with this one. I will let you guys know what I find and we'll go from there. Thanks again!
Unread 10-22-2014, 07:56 AM   #10
NOPA318
1993 ZJ 

There should be a round tin tag on the center back of the t-case with the image of New Process's logo, a red gear on it. In the gear there will be stamped numbers, I believe the serial number is on top and the model number below it. Should be 229AM or the like.
NOPA318 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #11
ninaskillingme
1984 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thank you Nopa318, That is very Helpful! I will check it out as soon as I can! Once I know the devil that I am dealing with, It will be easier to find the right exorcist.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.