82 wagoneer fuel pump problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 82 wagoneer fuel pump problem?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
Digital10

82 wagoneer fuel pump problem?

The jeep cut out about two block after putting in a full tank of gas...everything would turnover, but no gas was getting to the carb...the electric fuel pump on the frame driver's side made a loud humming sound. Wait half and hour and it starts right up...drive it home with no problem. Here is the problem...my dad and I pull the trigger too fast and get a new fuel pump, change it out, and she starts again...back it out of the garage and she dies. We check the electric wiring from the pump to the jeep looks okay. Nothing at all. Switch out the new pump with the old one...nothing. Both pumps test out just fine when we hook them up to a meter...any ideas? Help?

Digital10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
vanaisa
1974 FSJ Cherokee 

blockage in tank, fuel lines or blocked fuel filter.
vanaisa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Are you sure it's fuel? These things are known for bad ignition modules. Often times they don't just 'fail' they go intermittent on you.

Check for spark.
With an electric fuel pump it should be easy to check for fuel. Before filter/after filter/in carb (with engine off and no air cleaner pump the gas and see if you get a squirt from the accell pump)
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Digital10

No fuel is getting that far...the line from the pump to the filter is basically dry...the ignition turn over just like normal, but no fuel when I pump the gas.
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
CSP

Another example of why I'm not a fan of low pressure, electric fuel pumps. Go back to mechanical.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

do you have a prefilter on the pump. that's what clogs on mine. Prefilter, then a week or two later, the engine bay filter.
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
Digital10

It was a damn fuse...
Unread 02-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Well, easy fix at least!
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
Digital10

Problem is it blows every time I get a block or two away from my house...it's a 10 fuse in the ACC slot...no clue what ACC is, but the car won't run without it....
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

ACC is for accessory. Whomever wired it picked that one since the circuit is only live when the ignition is on or in the accessory location.

Not a great choice. Your fuel pump is probably drawing close to, if not more than, the fuse rating. You should rewire the fuel pump. I would go with it's own circuit and fuse. Use a relay to control the circuit or, even better, get a oil pressure switch. It will turn off the fuel pump if the oil pressure hits zero (like when the car isn't running). It's an added layer of safety.

Don't just stick a larger fuse in there. The wire feeding that circuit is designed for 10amps. If you put a larger fuse it you will melt the wire (and possibly start a fire)
Unread 02-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Yup, rewire it, run it through a relay, dont run it directly through the fuse box.

power from battery to relay (35amp i think), power from relay to fuel pump, ground the fuel pump wherever. Then run from a 12v source that is only on in the RUN position (you dont need your fuel pump to run in 'acc' when you are trying to listen to your radio without the truck on....also, dont leave your truck in 'run' with the engine off to listen to the radio or use accessories) to trigger the relay.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

I did not use a relay. works fine. Ran mine through a toggle switch on the dash. Turn it off, and no one's stealin my truck (hopefully)
Unread 02-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

i didnt say it wouldnt work fine, but the 'correct' way to do things like this is running through a relay, rather than putting the load through the switch.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.