81 Wagoneer auto transmission problem - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-06-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
81Wagoneer

81 Wagoneer auto transmission problem

OK my Wagoneer runs, revs and idles fine. Up until this morning it drove fine as well. When I put it in drive and began to accelerate it basically bogs down when shifting from 1st to 2nd. It will still go but feels like the brake is being held down. Reverse works and if I shift it to 1st it will drive fine until I try to shift to second then the same thing happens, it doesnt want to go. Any ideas on what would cause this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-07-2010, 09:48 PM
thecommander
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

did you check the transmission fluid level

you would probably notice if your brakes were sticking because you would slow down everytime you let off the gas

the Sierra Club is GAY!!!

“The day will eventually come where people will respond the same way about Al Gore getting a Noble Peace Prize for Global Warming as they do now with Milli VaNilli getting a Grammy.”-my wife
post #3 of 6 Old 04-07-2010, 09:51 PM
thecommander
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

i'm not really great with automatic trannys. i'm sure i could rebuild one, but as far as diagnosing the problem for sure sorry.

you should have the 727

it could be the torque converter. i have a spare one i'll give you if you need it. just pay the shipping

check out

International Full Size Jeep Association - Powered by vBulletin

“The day will eventually come where people will respond the same way about Al Gore getting a Noble Peace Prize for Global Warming as they do now with Milli VaNilli getting a Grammy.”-my wife

post #4 of 6 Old 04-07-2010, 10:11 PM
thecommander
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

another thing.

maybe your catalytic converter is plugged

post #5 of 6 Old 04-08-2010, 07:50 AM
megajeep
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

I had that exact symptom last week. It idled fine. 1st was fine, then when it shifted to 2nd if felt as if the brake was being press, then when it shifted back into first it let go and ran fine. Although I did not push very hard, it seemed that the more the accelerator was pressed the tighter it got.

I had the tranny pan off and did the rear band adjustment. But I missed a step and tightened it too tight. That was the result. I opened it back up and adjusted it properly and the problem went away.

It could be that the lock nut loosened and the band screw tightened itself. Self tightening is not unheard of. My motorcycle valves tighten every 3000 miles and needs periodic adjustment.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-08-2010, 08:22 AM
megajeep
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Here is an applicable sentance from Tom Hand's guide to the Chrysler torqueflite automatic transmission.

Talking about how the bands work and modifications:

"This timing is very important; too early of a band release causes the engine to "rev up" until the front clutch is applied. Too late of a band release and/or too early of a clutch apply is more common; this gives a "putting on the brakes sensation" which is actually called shift overlap (Since the rear clutch is applied in both 1st and 2nd, and nothing has to be released, kickdown band timing is not as critical in the 1-2 shift)."

Who knows what other issues may cause this problem, but a band adjustment is pretty easy. You don't even need to put the jeep up on stands to do it. You would need a new gasket, socketwrench, 1/2" socket, something to catch all the fluid in, 11/16 box wrench, 5/16 8-point socket, and a torque wrench that goes as low as 72" pounds or 6' pounds. And a big piece of cardboard to slide around on and to keep the fluid off the driveway. Unless of course your threads holding the pan up strip out then that really sucks, requires a lot more tools, two more days, and a sore lower back.

Tags
transmission problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.