80's Wagoneers - Educate me! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 80's Wagoneers - Educate me!

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
rocketfuel

80's Wagoneers - Educate me!

Hey been reading up for awhile and really haven't seen too much info or opinions on this..

I love the look of the classic 80's Grand Wagoneer Woody, and would like one.. but know nothing about the different years..

I do know I like the classic look of the 84 dashboard and gauges.. but what can you guys tell me about the optimal years for 80's wagoneers?

What year seems to have the best combo of engine, tranny, axles etc

Which year might be the most collectable sought after and worth the most?

Thank you so much for your time !!

rocketfuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
-Bluegill-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

All '80 & later Grand Wags had a similar drivetrain: carbureted AMC 360 V8, 727 tranny, and real D44 axles (DSD front). The only differences are the transfer case. The "Grand Wagoneer" name didn't exist prior to '84, it was created to distinguish between the XJ and the SJ (some XJ's were sold as a Wagoneer package). Prior to '84, what we now know as a Grand Wag was called a Wagoneer Limited.

As far as what is considered the most collectible, is merely a personal preference. By KBB & other similar standards, none of the Wags are "that" collectible - although a real FSJ lover would probably pay handsomely for a low mileage mint condition '91 Grand Wag (last year an FSJ was produced).

Just my 2 pennies, but the real beauty of a FSJ ... is they are relatively cheap & easy to purchase & modify. The problem is finding one that isn't beat to death, isn't eat up with rust, or doesn't cost an arm or leg. I had less than 4k total invested in my Chief, and several times it made owners of 10k buggies drool.
-Bluegill- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
rocketfuel

Interesting, certainly appreciate the feedback.. right now I think I have it narrowed down to an 85, Ilike the old classic style look of the dash and gauges of the 84/85 figure by 85 they worked some 2nd year kinks out?

Did they have front and rear 44's in any of the 80's models?

Anything else to look for?

thanks!
rocketfuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
-Bluegill-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

All of them should have a driver side drop (DSD) D44 front axle, but from 80-83 some models did have an AMC20 rear, so be sure to check. Most will have a D44 rear. As for rust, check the floorboards, rocker panels, lower corners of the quarter panels, as well as the driver side frame rail around the gas tank. Other than that, just an overall check that everything still works, weatherstripping is good, etc.
-Bluegill- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
CSP

80-mid 86 had the AMC 20 rear axle. Mid-86-91 had the Dana 44.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
GCX2450
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

If you can find a 1992 you'd have one of the 4 "legendary" last Grand Wagoneers, even though production officially ended in summer of 91.
GCX2450 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 05:54 AM   #7
kfcandtanq
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
right now I think I have it narrowed down to an 85, Ilike the old classic style look of the dash and gauges of the 84/85
thanks!
x2

I love the look of the dash on my 85 more than any other year.
kfcandtanq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
savethecars
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Wagonneer Info: They are getting very Collectable

In my opinion: 1987-1991 were the best years for any collection of Wagoneer’s. In the mid 1980’s Lee Iaccoca,( http://www.leeiacocca.com ) founder & creature of the Ford Mustang’s left Ford as C.E.O., and took over as C.E.O. for Chrysler. His new mission was to produce the best luxury S.U.V. He actually started the S.U.V revolution of what we now know today. By doing this, he took the Chrysler Corporation out of bankruptcy, and made them # 1 again in the auto industry. His success was based on his management style, and he used the Wagoneers to start the revolutionary comeback for Chrysler.

Wagoneers use to be cheap to buy, but the demand as increased their values. People love them. Just yesterday, in Kissimmee, Florida. Mecum auctions sold a Gary 1989 Wagoneer for $16,500. (you can check out mecum.com for more info)

I also have one listed on ebaymotors.com right now. If you looking for values you can see what they are selling for on ebay. Condition means a lot. Be very careful buying one because they are prone to having rust issues. Try to buy a southern vehicle with no history of damage. Mine is extremely nice, you can compare it to others. Heres’ the link for mine that I’m selling:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...STRK:MESELX:IT

Here are some facts and production numbers for your reference:

Jeep Grand Wagoneer Vehicle Technical Specifications
(Based on 1989 Grand Wagoneer/some variations for earlier model years)

Dimensions
Exterior Size
Overall Length: 186.4 inches
Overall width: 74.8 inches
Wheelbase: 108.7 inches

Interior Size
Headroom (front): 37.1 inches
Headroom (rear): 36.8 inches
Legroom (front): 40.5 inches
Legroom (rear): 37.0 inches

Cargo Volume (ft.): 74.5 inches

Rear axle to ground: 7.2 inches
Min. running clearance: 10.1 inches

Gross Vehicle Weight (Max GVWR)
6200 lbs.

Power-train & Driveline Specs
Engine
5.9 litre 360 V-8
8.25:1 compression ratio
2 -barrel carburetor

Transmission
Model 727, 3-speed automatic column shift

Transfer Case
Selec-Trac 2WD/4WD system, NP229 with shift-on-the-fly capability; includes low-range (2.6:1)

Brakes
Power front disc and rear drum

Steering
Recirculating ball type; variable ratio power assist standard,16:1 to 13:1; turning diameter 37.7 ft.

Suspension
Front: Dana model 44 full-floating solid axle. Multi-leaf special springs. Standard axle ratio 2.73:1
Rear: AMC semi-floating solid axle. Multi-leaf special springs. Standard axle ratio 2.73:1

Fuel Tank
20.3 gallon capacity with skid plate

Battery & Alternator
12-volt Heavy-Duty

Tires
P235/75R15 with full size spare

Wheels
15"x7" cast aluminum (12 spoke/6-lug)

JEEP WAGONEER & GRAND WAGONEER PRODUCTION 1985 TO 1991
1991 Grand Wagoneer (Produced: 1,560)
1990 Grand Wagoneer (Produced: 6,449)
1989 Grand Wagoneer (Produced: 10,159)
1988 Grand Wagoneer (Produced: 14,117)
1987 Grand Wagoneer (Produced: 14,265)
1986 Grand Wagoneer (Produced: 17,254)
1985 Grand Wagoneer (Produced: 17,814)

Good Luck
Mike
savethecars.com
West Palm Bch. Fl
savethecars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.