'79 Wagoneer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > '79 Wagoneer

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-15-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
skipjack48

'79 Wagoneer

Fuel system is losing prime and the fuel pump cannot pick up the fuel unless I put air into the fuel tank if it sits for a day or more. Once it starts, it runs great and will fire right up when shut off and restarted. It has a new pump and filters. It looks like there is a problem in the tank. Anybody run across a problem like this?

skipjack48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

It's not the tank itself (unless the line rotted off inside). It's the line between the tank and fuel pump. That or there is something floating in the line that is jamming the fuel pump inlet valve open or pinholes in the rubber lines (VERY common due to MTBE in fuels) are allowing air in so the prime is lost. I added an inline filter to the hose right before my fuel pump to keep that from happening (mostly because I put the gas from the rigs I scrap out into the J4000 so as not to waste it)
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.