79 J-10 Rear axle bearing replace, My expereance.
Just got thru replacing my rear outer axle bearings in my 79 J-10 w/ Dana 44. I actually had the Pass. rear start grinding one day and had totaly dropped out the "bearings" and it looked like by the time I got home I was riding my brake Drum on the backing plate. When I got it apart aside from the failed bearing, everything did not look too bad except the axle had rubbed thru the outer seal to the metal and groved the seal area of the axle. I did have a inner seal, which I chose to replace and re- grease pack. I had heard of people leaving the inner one out and using the gear lube to lube the bearings as on some axles, not me, I like the grease. I did as I had seen, measured from the outer axle housing flange to the just inside of the bearing before the inner seal, and drilled and tapped from the top of the housing and put a grease fitting so I could put shot or two in an ocasions. For the damage to the outer seal area I looked into a "KwiK Sleves" repair sleave, SKF # KWK99187 was what was found to be the right #. But I was going to have to order it and it was going to cost over $30, not much for a repair, but I found a National Seal #88187 for a Harmonic Balancer for $12 and available that day that had the EXACT specs, except no removable flange which posed NO problem, I used it and it fit perfect, and tight, I used a PVC pipe with a fitting I found that fit it perfect and pushed in on with no problems, caerfull to only install Just to edge of bearing ledge as the seal apears to ride very close. After pressing on new bearing and retainer ring, greasing, the axle installed perfect. Another tip, I went to pull and replace the bearing and seals on the other axle, I had purchased two of everything, (and install grease fitting), I realized I did not have a slide hammer for axle removal, after thinking, I took two long bolts that were threaded totaly, they actually were out of my Harmonic balancer puller kit, I put them thru oposing bearing retaining plate bolt holes after tapping out the bolts, from the back of the housing flange, put nuts on the outer side of the flange, ran the bolts thru the retaing plate holes to against the back of the axle flange. After getting it tight, I went back and forth tightening the nut, holding the bolts with backup, thus pushing out on the axle and within just a few cycles, back and forth, roughly not even a minute, the axle poped out, I then finished replacing those bearings and seals, and Im now back on the road. (New wheel cyinders and shoes also). One day's work, approx 8am to 4:30pm.