79 cherokee chief - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 79 cherokee chief

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

79 cherokee chief

So I got a 79 cherokee chief from my uncle he started building it back in the 90s and just never finished it and wants to seem it finished so now I have it. The motor is a 360 bored 30 over and cammed but it hasn't ran since rebuilt 20 years ago. I tried turning it over by hand but no go. I pulled the plugs and soaked the cylinders with some penatrating oil and letting it sit are there any other tips to help me get it turned over? It was also a frame off resto so the frame and floor are all sand blasted and rubber coated if there are any tips that would help me with this project please let me know. Thanks here are a few pics of it im determined to get it going and im aware of the amount of time I will have to invest in it.

2012-08-06_19-23-25_102.jpg   2012-08-06_19-39-18_170.jpg   2012-08-06_19-23-45_680.jpg   2012-08-06_19-48-47_466.jpg  
93ZJDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Nice, looks like it'll be a fun project.

good taste in jeeps, bad taste in beer haha.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Im loving it but the motor seems to siezed up pretty good its soaking in pb blaster so i hope it breaks lose but tge jeep has 66k miles tge motor has 0 i was rebuilt bored 30over and cammed it was for alittle then it was put in the jeep and sat for 20 years whats the best way to break the motor free.
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
TikiWagon
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Automatic transmission fluid in the cylinders and a good heat lamp on each side of the block. We loosened a '55 Ford six that had been sitting from 1979 till 2010 that way.
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

So today i pulled a valve cover and i didnt like what i seen the push rodz were rusted bad its been a long time doing anything that sat this long should i try to save this motor? Or build a new one i think it might be saveable if i pull the heads but who knows til i get it apart.
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Ill try trans fluid after i get the pb blaster out lol. Would it be ok to pretty much soak the entire motor in trans and maybe drain the oil and that with trans fluid to
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
TikiWagon
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Couldn't hurt at all. Seen a few engines preserved by filling 'em almost full of trans fluid. It's pretty versatile stuff. I use it as a lead substitute in my '55 Chevy truck too. Bonus: it keeps the carb clean along with everything else. Just "cheap" Dexron is all you need, has the least friction modifiers in it.
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Ok sounds good ill drain the 20 year old oil out and fill it wit trans the motor pretty much went from the shop where it was built to the jeep where it sat the pistons didnt even have carbon on em thats probably the worst thing u can do to a fresh engine is let it sit that long ive also been told kerosene works wonders to.)
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
TikiWagon
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Yeah, kerosine is a fuel oil, it lubricates almost as well as it cleans. It's the main ingredient in engine flush too. Rinsed my entire rear diff in it when I rebuilt it last month, came out clean as could be with a little scrubbing inside and out, and didn't hurt what was left of the paint.
Unread 08-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

if the engine was sitting for 20 years without having been prepped, you've probably got a bit of work ahead of you. I'd pull the heads and get a look.

drop the pan and get a look too, i'd hate to see what everything looks like under there.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
TikiWagon
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Always a good idea, and if you're feeling really ambitious, don't be afraid to pull the heads for a peek too.
Unread 08-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Ok so a week went by with me dying inside to mess with it but i needed to let it soak in pb blaster i tried today still no luck but i was bored so pulled the passenger side head off it came apart like butter no effort at i was amazed but wheb i got the head off i was alittle scared with the. Amount of rust in the cylinders but i tapped each piston with a small piece of work and she moved!! So i worked it back and forth slow wiping the rust out and spraying more pb in now it makes a full turn man that made my day to see it turn it was pretty discouraging after pulling the head off and seeing it.
Unread 08-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

The first pic is when i first pulled the head the second if once it was freed up and cleaned alittle
forumrunner_20120818_191313.jpg   forumrunner_20120818_191328.jpg  
Unread 09-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

So i got everything cleaned up on the chief and got a nice deal on an edelbrock intake manifold for 75 bucks for it but before any of that i drained the 22 year old oil out and well i got about 2 quarts of water out of the oil pan. I guess when it rains it pours lol the motor is free and turns over and the cylinders are nice after i re honed them. I have to pull the oil pan and check it out more before trying to start it. I hate to change the factory intake and carb but my uncle has a golden eagle all original and hes having issues with the car so i wanna make it more driveable that and with it being bored out to a 392 and cammed as big as it could go back in 1990 it needs to breathe more so a nice intake and 4 barrel carb and maybe a set of long tube headers. I plan on showing the jeep i dont want to beat it in the woods or anything just take it to shows for people to appreciate it.
Unread 09-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #15
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93ZJDave View Post
I plan on showing the jeep i dont want to beat it in the woods or anything just take it to shows for people to appreciate it.
go get a ford. let the jeep live where it's supposed to. Not penned up in a trailer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.