'77 cherokee + '92 5.9l cummins - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > '77 cherokee + '92 5.9l cummins

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-29-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
gotmike
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

'77 cherokee + '92 5.9l cummins

figured i'd start up a build thread... unfortunately we took ton's of pics while building this rig, and just before we finished the initial build and got it back on the road my brother's camera's batteries died... when we put in the new batteries my brother hit the wrong button and reformatted his memory card... so we lost all of my build pictures... but i have many pictures since then...

these are the earliest pics i have now...

my boss was a super nice guy.. he let me work on it after hours as long as i wanted as long as nothing was in his way when he came in the next morning... so i had access to an overhead crane and welders, and just about any other tool i could need...

gotmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
gotmike
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

i used the dodge frame (heavily modified) just because i only had a week to do my the swap and get my rig back on the road... my wife was in california and i had use of her vehicle to get back and forth to work... so i would work an 8 hour day... and then stay untill 2-3 a.m. working on my rig.. made for some very long nights...

i had to shorten my dodge frame nearly 2 feet and with that shorten my own driveline, brake lines, and figure out something for a fuel tank... i ended up carrying my fuel tank in the back of my jeep for over a year before i managed to find a viable option to mount between the frame rails behind my axle.. the jeep originally had an automatic transmission and full time 4wd... so i had to cut my own holes for the transmission shift tower(NV-4500) and transfer case shift levers... plus i managed to build my own brackets to mount the dodge pedals inder the cherokee dash and use the original gas pedal hooked to the cummins.. i also used the dodge tilt column and gauge cluster "grafted" into the jeep dash... i built my own body mounts welded to the frame and used a series of straps to lift the entire jeep body, front clip and all, onto the dodge chassis... one week, 70-80 hours and about 100 bucks and my new "frankenjeep" was essentially road worthy... due to titleing issues i had to go through 3 vin inspections and file with the state for a new vin number... but i sold all of my extra parts for somewhere around $600 total and ended up ahead of the game after it was all said and done...
Unread 09-29-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
gotmike
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

had some rocks out at the end of the lot and i just couldn't help myself... she was about 2 days old at this point...

Unread 09-29-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
gotmike
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

i had collected some pieces of schedule 120, 2" tubing from a previous job and used it to make the bottom bars on my front and rear bumpers, and to make some sliders/steps... the rest of the tubing was schedule 40, 2"... i installed some nissan seats ($5.00 garage sale find) and put the dash together as best i could on no budget..

my next project was to dissassemble my heater box and form some new sheet metal to hug it to my firewall and clear the downpipe on my exhaust...

Last edited by gotmike; 09-29-2010 at 12:45 AM..
Unread 09-29-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
gotmike
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

i had done some research and had found that the sanden A/C compressor could be modified to run an OBA setup... so i bought all the scraps of 1/2" stainless tubing and connectors i could from another project we were working on... and proceded to build an onboard air system into my rig... i tagged into the A/C clutch circuit and installed a basic compressor pressure switch and a 5 gallon tank inside the frame where the original dodge fuel tank used to sit... then i ran lines to the front of the vehicle and either side just in front of the rear axle with quick connects at each place... with a small wal-mart coil hose i can access any point of my rig or any rig near mine...

Unread 09-29-2010, 12:49 AM   #6
gotmike
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

found what i believe to be an isuzu fuel tank that fit between the frame rails almost perfectly and installed quite easily... even hooked up to the existing fuel filler neck..

then while fooling around on the street one day i blew up the pinion gear in my dana 70-U rear axle

so i installed a dana 70-HD out of a 70's chevy... so at this point there's no question any more it really is a JEEP...

Just.
Everyone
Elses
Parts... lol
Unread 09-29-2010, 01:18 AM   #7
gotmike
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

since then i have installed a dual battery setup w/ an isolation switch in the cargo compartment, a 2000 watt inverter, LED taillights inside the factory bezels, a con-ferr roof rack, 4 hella's up front and two grote floods in the rear, a ford expedition adjustable rear seat, and an RV 7 point trailer hookup... and i was working on installing a ramsey PTO winch but will probably just go electric now...
for more pic's:
my cherokee project pics

Last edited by gotmike; 09-29-2010 at 01:30 AM..
Unread 09-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
BJsWrangler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

question for you: I know you said you were constrained by time, but if time wasn't an issue, would you have still done the chassis swap or would you have just dropped the 5.9 into the cherokee's original chassis?

BTW, my question does have a point...I've got a 78 I'd love to drop a diesel into.
BJsWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
gotmike
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

there's a big debate on IFSJA.org about that... realisticly... if i had, had the time, and the money, i'd love to set it into the jeep frame and beef up a couple cross-members... but with everything else i did to it... i'm kindof glad i used the dodge frame... it saved me alot of time and money in the long run... i'm going to swap in hydroboost in the next couple of weeks... and it's nice having the updated dodge o-ring fittings so i don't need adapters...
Unread 09-30-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome. I would love to have a FSJ with a CTD.

My Youtube Channel

1979 CJ-5 304 V-8, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Sold

Anyways, I wanna go wheelin'!
XJAbuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #11
apfroggy0408
1982 CJ7 

Awesome! Any rig with a cummins is a good rig in my mind. I've been thinking about dropping one in my cj7 but a 4bt couldn't fit the i6.
apfroggy0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
gotmike
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

i've seen it done in a TJ... no reason it wouldn't fit in a CJ... swap in some waggy d-44's while your at it... you'll have a beast of a rig getting 35 mpg... lol...
Unread 10-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #13
84fsj
1984 FSJ Wagoneer 

just got say i think your my new hero
84fsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
gotmike
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

here's a video of me doing a hillclimb... i'm usually the one filming so i don't get footage of mine wheeling...

YouTube - my hill climb.wmv

i know... i need lockers... i have to have money for those... lol...
Unread 11-03-2010, 02:16 AM   #15
Zorlofe
1978 FSJ Cherokee 

Very nice! I'm new here btw (hi everyone!) and just starting to do some reading. I just acquired a 78 Cherokee FSJ and starting late January or early February of 2011 I'll be working on fixing up my Big Chief. Unfortunately I'm not much of a mechanic and I have back problems so I'm limited to what I can do on my own but I have an older friend who has worked on these before and is eager to help me with several projects once I get the funds. Anyway, I'll make a new thread and post what it currently looks like if anyone is interested as I don't want to hijack this thread.
Zorlofe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee , cummins , diesel , swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.