74 Cherokee wiring harness - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > 74 Cherokee wiring harness

1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday Sale

Unread 04-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
tommyf61
1974 FSJ Cherokee 

74 Cherokee wiring harness

Just picked up a 1974 Cherokee. It's a 1 owner with only 37,011 miles on it and it drives like new. The original owner used it to pull an airstream 2-3 times a year! Here's the problem, the guy was an electrical engineer and never fixed an electrical problem correctly, he bypassed everything in order to save a little money. I don't know why, he lived in Highland Park, TX (VERY rich neighborhood) and could have paid someone to fix it properly. Oh well. I'm now looking for a wiring harness for BOTH sides of the firewall and would like to purchase new, OEM like stuff. I've looked on the Painless site and didn't see anything there that would work, any thoughts?
Right now I have to throw old fashion blade switches that are mounted to a piece of plywood hidden in the dash to start it!

003.jpg   005.jpg   004.jpg  
tommyf61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
SJCFORD
1974 FSJ Cherokee 

The website BJ'Soffroad offers universal 12 volt wiring harnesses in both 12 and 24 circuit configurations. I too am planning on throwing in a new wiring harnesses due to the fact my 74 has been sitting for 10 years before i bought it.
forumrunner_20130422_112025.jpg  
SJCFORD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
tommyf61
1974 FSJ Cherokee 

I'll give that a quick look. How do you know whether or not you would need 12 or 24 circuit harness?

I've owned a Jeep of some kind or another since 79', but this is the first FSJ for me. I don't know why I waited so long!
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
tommyf61
1974 FSJ Cherokee 

Scratch that SJCFORD, I figured out the difference between the 12 and 21 circuit configues. Thanks!
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

If you have power windows and door locks you have to order the 21 circuit. If you don't have power windows and locks, the 12 circuit is sufficient.
BJ's Off-Road is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
tommyf61
1974 FSJ Cherokee 

Yea, I kinda figured that's what the 21 circuit was for. My 74 is manual everything, makes it a little easier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.